Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1915 reattestation

serena

I am researching a soldier who enlisted on 18th February 1915 at an apparent age of 19 years and 9 months - his real age was 17 years and 9 months as he was born in 29th May 1897. Comments on the document show it to be a re-attestation. His statement of services confirm the enlistment date as 18th February 1915. However, due to a misunderstanding on enlistment he was transferred from 6th Dragoons to the 3rd Reserve Cavalry for the 6th Dragoon Guards in June 1915 - this was treated as a posting.  The medical history sheet shows he was examined on 18th July 1915 and was enlisted on the same date aged 19 years 10 months - still he was underage. Can anyone explain what might have been going on, particularly relating to the re-attestation?

Many thanks

ESW - 26.jpg

ESW - 27.jpg

ESW - 01.jpg

• Admin

Welcome to the GWF

Please acknowledge sources especially when posting documents from subscription sites (Copyright - see Forum Rules)

What appears to be going on here as you have discovered is that on the 18th February 1915 (Attestation form) Edward Wilson enlisted in the Regular Army under terms 7 years with the Colours (i.e. on active service) and 5 years on the Reserve.  He could legitimately enlist aged eighteen but not sent on active service overseas until age nineteen which is probably why he addd two years to his age. The Army did not require proof and generally within society folk were much more relaxed about age then rather than now.

Once he declared his age that became his Army Age, in other words as far as the Army was concerned he attested aged 19.  It was a cause for discharge should he have been found to have made a false declaration as to age but unless his parents intervened as often happened he would carry on.

On enlistment he elected to serve with the 6th Dragoon Guards whose Depot was at Canterbury.  Instead he was posted to the 6th Dragoons whose Depot was in Newport. For training he was posted to Aldershot and the 2nd Cavalry Reserve Depot on the 19th February.  This it appears was an administrative error in the recruitment process.  There is a very touching letter, especially in regard to his ultimate fate when realising the mistake he requests a transfer to the 6th Dragoon Guards at 3rd Cavalry Reserve Depot Canterbury so that he can be with his mates.  This is approved and he is posted on the 15th June.

In order for the transfer to be approved both his CO at 2nd Cavalry Reserve and the CO at 3rd Cavalry Reserve must agree. 

I think you will find the first medical examination in the document posted was on the "18th Feby" not July.

Given the mix-up over his selection of Regiment I suspect the 're-attestation' was an attempt to resolve it following a previous attestation. It is unusual and other members may have a different explanation but there is evidence at this time under age soldiers were told to, 'come back tomorrow when you are nineteen'. The fact they used the same form and amended it marks it as unusual.  

It looks very much as though Wilson wrote with a darker pen whilst the other details were completed by the recruiter, though I may be reading too much into that.