Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

S71/84 help

jrivers

Hi Everyone.  New here.   I have been looking through my Pepe’s ww1/ww2 stuff and came across this bayonet.  I roughly know what it is but not definitive.  There is no other markings on it other than the crown and the w15 on it. Can anyone shed some light.  Thank you.  

IMG_4871.jpeg

IMG_4872.jpeg

IMG_4873.jpeg

IMG_4874.jpeg

S.84/98 sawback bayonet made at the Erfurt imperial arsenal in 1915. Possibly with customised grips and chrome plating. I expect others will give more details.

17 minutes ago, peregrinvs said:

S.84/98 sawback bayonet made at the Erfurt imperial arsenal in 1915. Possibly with customised grips and chrome plating. I expect others will give more details.

The grips and plating look like those used on WWII German dress bayonets, I'll be interested to hear what the experts say.

Chris

4 minutes ago, 4thGordons said:

The grips and plating look like those used on WWII German dress bayonets, I'll be interested to hear what the experts say.

Chris

All i know is that my Pepe was in WWll.  I was looking through a couple rifles he brought back but i dont think this bayonet went with them.  

I am curious as well what others might say.  Anyway to clean it also?   I do not want to ruin it so i leave it alone 

I no expert either, but agree with others, the original “ type “ bayonet was the M71/84, they took off the muzzle ring and made the back strap ( back) strait for use with the Gew98, later version, called 84/98nA or new model, all three versions used wood grips with same style screws you have. In the Weimar  post WW1 through WW2 Germany was big on all kinds of Dress Bayonets, short swords and regular swords. I believe yours survived the Great War and someone made it a plain dress type with the Pressed leather or Bakelite grips. The plating is obvious but it still tells a sort of story, where someone cared enough to buy ( surplus?) then went to trouble to spend more to dress it up. A veteran or son of a veteran in his father’s memory. The story can be whatever the owner wants it to be.    Never be afraid to ask on the forum, we all learn and enjoy new post. Thanks for the post

Steve

Yes technically an S.84/98 n.A S (sawback) bayonet made by Erfurt in 1915, which has later been reworked into a "walking out" or "dress" version with the chrome and fancy pressed rubber grips. This would most likely have been done in the inter-war or Weimar period.

Cheers,  SS 

It could be already used in WW1 as a Officer Sidearm, with nickel plating and chequering the grips, or as mentioned it was used postwar, anyway the sawback blade would be untypical in Weimar or NS period used as Sidearm. S84/98nAS wout flashguard installed.