Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Turkish Winchesters

Rafal1971

Hallo

The question concerns long bayonets for Winchester 1895 used by the Turkish army (I saw them in photos).
Do you have or know any bayonets marked this way? Photos of markings are welcome

Best Rafal

These are not to be confused with the Winchester M1895 rifles which were sold under contract to RUSSIA during WW1. These came with a modern style sword-bayonet made by Winchester Repeating Arms and stamped on the crossguard as such.

Cheers,  SS 

Yes I am aware of that Gunboards thread and I have seen that photo before. It is the Winchester M1866 shown, apparently in the hands of the Russians who appear to be inspecting it, as they would with captured weapons to see what they are up against. Do you want to see the bayonets that went with it.? Then perhaps it should be good luck with your problem.! :thumbsup:

Cheers,  SS 

Well, that's different

What number is it, Russian or another country?

P1290478.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

These Winchesters are a bit of a problem. I have been going through the records for these for some years and it is not easy to disentangle fact from fiction, except that (Mods be aware!) they did carry on in use into WW1 among Turkish 'Home Guard' units! What is certain is that by spring 1877, 39,000 were in service as the primary long firearm of the Ottoman cavalry, militia and gendarmerie - NOT army. This makes sense: a weak but fast-loading firearm suitable for short-range skirmishing and like episodic encounters that mounted units might be involved in. I have yet to see an undoubted Winchester M.66 Turkish bayonet, and the one on that web-page is a side-fitting one with a fancy handle, and I suspect as with the Peabody bayonets these ones, as opposed to socket ones, were NCO issue. And by the way, there is so much guff and frankly b******t about Winchester's winning Plevna... OFFICIAL Ottoman figures indicate there were probably around 1,350 of the weapons in use with the regular cavalry at Plevna, with perhaps another 1,000 or so if the ‘Başıbozuk’ were likewise armed, totalling roughly 2,350...

Trajan

Serial number on crosspiece looks like turkish one.

I'm inclined to think non-Turkish given how rounded that '3' is - a bit above normal Turkish standards! 

I dont see the exact piece, its a Winchester 1895, anyway to Russia were delivered only 294000 rifles, so the serial is out of range, but on some of M1935 generic bayonets were similar higher numbers, when i remember Dennis O. CD.