Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Silent Voices - The story of the 10th Btn, AIF

Peter Beckett

Purchased this gem at the bookshop at Canberra Airport on the way home last week.

I quote:

The story of the men of the Fighting Tenth - the 10th Battalion of the AIF during WWI. From its inception in Australia through to the operations in Gallipoli, Egypt, France, and Belgium, Kierney details how the battalion established an enviable reputation as a disciplined, courageous and outstanding unit. Includes roll of honour, decorations and awards and, as appendix three, Field Return for 10 Battalion at Celtic Wood. The author has drawn on letters written by soldiers and their family, diary entries, official documents and previously unpublished photographs, providing an unique personal insign into the lives of the men of the Fighting Tenth.

I found this book to be a minefield of information and well written and easy to read. I am in no way an expert on the AIF, but after reading this book, I have a much better appreciation of an Aussie Battalion.

There were two extra bonuses for me in the book.

1. The training and activities in Egypt (was there on holidays in Jan)

2. The action around Polygon Wood helped my own interest ie Royal Engineers at the Butte and also examines in depth the "mystery" of the raid at Celtic Wood.

I recommend this book to all WW1 enthusiasts

Peter :)

Martin did you try to order a copy from one of the three booksellers on that site? That's where I ordered my copy. The cheapest was £12.55 + postage.

Robbie

Martin,

clean forgot to add the "important" details. :(

Published by New Holland Publishers

ISBN 1 74110 175 1

Retail price in OZ dollars = $29.95

BTW Fantastic enhanced photo of the 10th Btn signallers on the front cover

Peter :D

Agree with Peter that it's well worth buying. Great colour photo on the front of the book of the 10th Bn signallers.

I'm enjoying reading this one more than my previous buy, Peter Stanley's Quinn's Post.

I'm enjoying reading this one more than my previous buy, Peter Stanley's Quinn's Post.

Andrew,

I agree with you. Quinn's Post was great but I found Silent Voices more readable

Peter

I must get a copy and compare it to my original edition copy of the C.B.L. Lock, The fighting 10th: a South Australian centenary souvenir of the 10th Battalion, AIF, 1914-1919 (Adelaide, Webb & Son, 1936)......

Cheers

Edward

PS wish I could get my hands on a copy of

A. Limb, A history of the 10th Battalion, A.I.F. (London: Cassell & Compnay, 1919).

Peter

Picked up a copy of this book today (on your recommendation) in 'Big W' (Vic) would you believe - for $19.45. (35% off)

Have almost finished Quinn's Post - but have a heap of others that I need to read first.

Cheers, Frev.

• 2 weeks later...

I received mine this morning. What a fab book!

Peter? Any idea where I would get the official diary of the 5th FAB (2nd div)? I have searched the AWM online a number of times but cannot find anything. I have my gfather's records already.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks..

Robbie

Agree with Peter that it's well worth buying. Great colour photo on the front of the book of the 10th Bn signallers.

• 7 months later...
PS wish I could get my hands on a copy of

A. Limb, A history of the 10th Battalion, A.I.F. (London: Cassell & Compnay, 1919).

Edward,

If it's a 'Copy' you're after, I can get you one no probs. But, if it's an original that's a little harder.

Let me know.

Cheers,

Dan