Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What do the recorded numbers mean on the Lambton brothers AVL 1918

Hett65

Two brothers are recorded on the Spennymoor AVL 1918 and I am trying to find what the numbers mean.

Charles Elmo Lambton is recorded as SM714 Army Ordinance Corps.  What does the FM mean on his serial number?

Percy Evelyn Lambton is recorded as C/12783 KRRC then added 13 Officers CB.   What does the 13 Officers CB mean?  I have seen Officer Cadet next to a man's name but not this. He was commissioned 25.6.1918 but I do not know which regiment.

Thanks

John

• Admin

13 Officers CB means at the time he was a cadet at 13 OCB.

It is possible this is his officer service file (don't ask TNA to copy it - too expensive, find an independent researcher) 2/Lieutenant Percy Evelyn LAMBTON. The Durham Light Infantry. | The National Archives

RAF Officer file here at FMP British Royal Air Force, Officers' Service Records 1912-1920 Image | findmypast.co.uk

His MIC confirms it is him (courtesy FMP) Medal card of Lambton, Percy E Corps: King's Royal Rifle Corps Regiment No: ... | The National Archives

image.png

• Admin
49 minutes ago, Hett65 said:

Charles Elmo Lambton is recorded as SM714 Army Ordinance Corps.  What does the FM mean on his serial number?

? think you may have a typo there FM?

The Medal Roll shows he was a Temporary Sergeant Major I guess therefore it was a reference to his rank.  His number was actually T/714. 'T' was simply a prefix used by the AOC (along with many other prefixes for other corps/regiments as listed on Paul Nixon's indispensable site https://armyservicenumbers.blogspot.com/p/number-prefixes.html)

The details for the AVL were often provided by family at home and then transcribed by clerks who may have had little or no military knowledge.

DavidOwen & kenf48

Thanks to both for clearing this up for me.

John

I don't know if you have seen these from local newspapers -- the first is from the Newcastle Journal, 2 July 1918, the second image is from the Newcastle Daily Journal and Courant, 28 June 1918 (images courtesy of Find My Past)

Lambton_Percy L 1.jpg

Lambton brothers.jpg

Allan1892

No, I had not seen the above articles, I have one from the Auckland Chronicle 5 October 1916 regarding Percy being wounded in the chest. Thanks for forwarding the above information, I will add it to their history.

John