Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bugle identification

DuckyDougie

Privately engraved, looks to have a badge crudely attached. Nothing to indicate its authenticity as an Aussie WW1 relic.

Yes you’re right it has a Rising Sun underneath the engraving which seems very old and original ..

IMG_0084.png

Odd it seems,  The "Battle Honours" referred to are surely broad Campaigns/Theatres.  Battle Honours are more specific eg Gallipoli such as "Second Battle of Krithia", Middle East such as "3rd Battle of Gaza", Western Front such as "Polygon".  That's the kind of finer detail that the military tend to get right on their kit.  Based on the photos I'd be tempted to file it in the drawer marked "1970's Trench Art"  However, there is a question mark there DuckieDougie ......... but I don't think you'll be able to retire on this one.

No already retired by twenty years but I feel it is older than me and I will give it a nice place on the wall accordingly . Thanks for your input and thoughts .

Saw a chap a few years ago buying all the decent bugles he could find at the local flea, he virtually admitted that they would be badged and aged and then passed off as military😤😤😤.

Nice wall hanger, but I agree with Phil.

Dave.

• Admin
50 minutes ago, PhilB said:

Have they spelt front as FRUNT?:unsure:

I reckon so. 

40 minutes ago, Dave66 said:

Saw a chap a few years ago buying all the decent bugles he could find at the local flea.....

Know where you are coming from Dave66.  I was in Baghdad a decade ago* and an ancient home based metal worker there was churning out 1916 Stahlhelms as his sole income .... which wasn't much at all. Must admit they looked very convincing though.

* cue that most recently revitalised Great War reposte of the Mespotamian Campaign "...... I was in that Bag dad when you were still in yer dad's bag son"

Just for a comparison, and an example of what to look for, I have one dated 1890, but later presented to the 3rd West Yorkshire Volunteers, Royal Engineers….bottom row of engraving un readable. Polished within an inch of its life, and dented to hell, but an issued piece and not a badge in sight., 

Dave.

IMG_5580.jpeg