Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dutch Scabbard Markings

Winterhawk

Could I get an opinion on this recently acquired Netherlands M1895 Bayonet and scabbard. The bayonet itself is quite straight forward. A Hemburg produced piece marked Hemburg on the ricasso on one side and an inspector mark “crown”Z on the other. The hilt is marked to rifle # 3238 LL. The scabbard marking is for rifle #3477 also on its back is V, 16 and 40 – 7. My question is does this indicate 1916 and July 1940? What does the V signify?

M1895.jpg

M1895 - Hemburg.jpg

Is the V part of the serial - either a prefix or a suffix? A quick google of Dutch Steyr-Mannlicher M1895 seems to show some with letters as part of the serial.

The font here looks consistent with the numbers.

Chris

PS - I just checked and my scabbard has a 4 digit serial with a C - set up in the same way.

Chris

Good thinking. Where quite large punches were used for the the rifle number there may not have not been enough room for the letter so it was put above as illustrated. However I have read (somewhere) that the rifle numbers on the scabbard did not include lettering as was normally found on the bayonet. What are your thoughts on the 16. Think this indicates 1916?