Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

how bad did a GSW have to be to get a SWB

chaz

amusing me the award of SWB's.

Ive recently found one badge awarded as no longer required for service.

another Ive recently asked about got one for GSW's to all 4 limbs, understandable.

one of my other soldiers has a pension card , a pension claim form , 3 sets of attestation forms all with remarks of a GSW to back. 20% disablement and a pension for 52 weeks with a bonus 20% increase. BUT no mention on MIC or elsewhere or a search result for a SWB. To me a more likely entitlement to a badge than the first or even a sick one.

Was there a criteria for % disablement?

i cant see any date mentioned for the wound.

Ellis Rees, 12912 he served Shrops L I  from July 15 to Feb 19. 

Hi Chaz,

In terms of your overall question, a GSW may have resulted in a wound stripe award, but wouldn't necessarily have resulted in an award of a SWB. A man had to be discharged - there's a bit about the eligibility criteria on the LLT - here.

Regards
Chris 

It wasn't a wound badge, so the nature and degree of a wound would have been irrelevant.

The badge was awarded to show that a man had been discharged, and had "done his bit".

The reasons for discharge, and therefore eligibility, were many and varied.

And a man who was honourably discharged before the badge was introduced had to apply for it, so you may well come across cases that on the face of it look like they should have received a Silver War Badge but the record is a complete blank.

Cheers,
Peter

6 hours ago, chaz said:

Ellis Rees, 12912 he served Shrops L I  from July 15 to Feb 19. 

There are a lot of soldiers who, at the time of demobilisation and transfer to Class Z in 1919 underwent a medical, and were deemed unfit.

I can anecdotally tell you this. The hard yards would need to be done with SWB data to support this, and I simply do not have the time or inclination to do this.

I have been through thousands of AIF LH service files and not one shows any award of a SWB, when they show being wounded muliple times and their groups show that award

I don't where they were recorded, but not in their service files.

Clearly your blokes in the UK had this down pat, but it seams they also failed to write them down

I found the same with the wound stripes

Edited by stevenbecker