Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Henry Robert COLLINS - 119353 RFC/RAF

stephen p nunn

My cousin has managed to get hold of his maternal grandfather's RFC/RAF service record. It looks like 119353 Henry Robert Collins enlisted in the RFC on 18/1/18 and served variously in 47 and 17 Squadrons, until leaving (the then RAF) ON 7/10/19. Can any GWF aviation experts please fill in any gaps in relation to Henry's service/activites with those squadrons?

Thank you.

Stephen (Maldon)

Collinsrfc.jpg

Here is a photo from Henry's album.....

yuill.jpg

This is Herbert....

rfccollins.jpg

And one of his most prized possessions - a carved wooden box (aledgedly made out of a propeller boss).....

rfccollinsbox.jpg

It's good to see a photo of one of 47 Squadron's other ranks as well as the snap of the group outside a tent.  Photos of the RAF in South Russia, particularly other ranks, are certainly rare.

The name of Henry Robert Collins appears in my archive, but cannot recall quite how I came across him, for he does not appear in any of the Squadron's records that I hold.  As per his service record - H R Collins moved to Russia, from Salonika, early-May 1919, and his service with 47 Squadron (South Russia) was brief, about 4-months. 

The snap featuring the group of five men was taken at the squadron's H.Q. aerodrome, a field located about 2-miles from Ekaterinodar.  Aerodrome was close to a railway siding and used to receive and dispatch machines to the various Fronts.  Each of the squadron's Flight's had it's own train.  Incidentally, many of the aircraft deployed to Russia were well used and as one observer noted "were in a sorry looking state and choked with sand."

You mention the photos were taken from Henry's album - Do you have the names of the individuals who feature and indeed other photos to share, and would you raise any objection to me downloading the featured photos and including them with my archive?

Best regards

Rob

Edited by RFT
Updated text.

Thank you Rob. No sadly, no names. Yes, of course, add to your archive. Best regards.

Stephen.

Thank you Stephen, much appreciated.

Can you provide a larger scan of the group of the snapshot and do you have any supplemental information on Henry Collins, e.g. DOB (which the record fails to provide), occupation post-Russia, and when he passed away?

Rob

I remember him as an old man. Used to play dominoes with him and have bread and jam and tea! I am seeing my cousin today so will have a chat about what else he knows. Regards.

Stephen.

What lovely memories - Life was less complicated than it is today.  Hoping you glean more stories from your cousin.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

By the way, check out H R Jones book "Over the Balkans & South Russia" - It's all about 47 Squadron.  Also Damien Wright's excellent book "Churchill's Secret War with Lenin."  

Regards

Rob

Just seen my cousin. Here are two more pictures of Henry....

Henry Robert Collins in uniform.jpg

Grandad in Russia_.png

Wow!  What more can I say!  Spotted Henry in the front row.  Is there any backdrop to this photo?  

I'm so very grateful to you Stephen, and will you kindly convey my thanks to your cousin.

Rob

Will do Rob. the pictures are a bit damaged but great survivals. Regards. Stephen.

This is how I remember "Bert"....

Henry R Collins cuppa.jpg

Well Stephen, this is like Christmas and Easter all rolled into one.  Both seasons have certainly come early for me.

A delightful image of a much older Bert Collins, and which will be added to my 47 Squadron archive.

Do you know if Bert's WW1 medals are still held by his family and if they are, I would certainly welcome a photo of them together with the inscription?  Fingers crossed at this end!

Keep up the good work!

Rob

Hi Rob. My cousin and I are so pleased you like this. My cousin has his BWM and is searching it out. He thinks his brother has the Star, but will check. Best regards. Stephen (Maldon).

The surprises seem to keep on coming. 

I'm absolutely delighted that you posted this article on Henry Robert.  I'm actively seeking out information on him at the time of compiling this reply!

Hoping the family are successful with the medal search.

Best regards to you Stephen. and to your cousin.  

Rob

Thanks Rob. Here is his BWM. I have asked for pictures of the rim inscription. All the best. S.

BertsBWM1.jpg

BertsBWM2.jpg

Some of Bert's other mementos....

berta.jpg

bertb.jpg

bertc.jpg

bertd.jpg

It just keeps on coming!  What a truly delightful collection of mementos and yet more for my archive.  One cannot help but wonder what Bert would have made of this online discussion.

I believe I'm on the right track - Henry Robert Collins, DOB 20 Feb 1898.  Married Grace Coombs, 1927, Bert passed away 1975 and Grace in 1990. 

Do please let me know if this latter information is incorrect and I'll update.

Thank you once again Stephen, for all the photos etc posted here today.

Rob

Hi Rob - my pleasure. Yes, the dates for Bert and Grace are correct. Best regards. Stephen.