Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with Ship's Name

alantwo

I would be grateful if someone could let me know the name of the ship shown below, which sailed from Avonmouth on 21st March 1915 for the MEF.

My thanks in advance.

Alan

Reference my photograph of the embarkation file at the NA, Kew.

image.jpeg.8336c5784ed4fef52091abef7b512e80.jpeg

Looks like SS HARMATRIS Off No 135169, built Newcastle 1912 for J&C Harrison of London.  Sunk 8 Mar 1916 off Boulogne Breakwater by UB 18 apparently whilst on a voyage from St John NB to Boulogne carrying oats and hay.  The HARMATRIS was taken up as an Expeditionary Force Transport on 13 Jan 1915 and remained on Government Charter until sunk

Tony

Edited by MerchantOldSalt

Thanks Tony, that's a big help.

Another ship below. Leaving Liverpool on 3rd April 1915 with units of RGA and RE on board. It looks to me like SS ACCRA, but I would appreciate confirmation. I've found a ship of that name sunk in WW2, but I don't think it is the same ship.

Alan

Image reference as my first post.

image.jpeg.a5d691b621d3099701cac9d1ba00120b.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Ilbury Welsh said:

Could that be SS Accra. John

Thanks John, that's what it looks like to me. Any details? When built? Yard? etc.

Regards

Alan

Hope this will help, I’ve found an SS Accra, belonging initially to the British and African Steam Navigation Company Ltd; before coming under the ownership of Elder, Dempster and Co as listed on 28/3/1903, as show in the extract below.

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/70176/70176-h/70176-h.htm#Page_167

Ps you may need to scroll up a page or two

Edited by Knotty

55 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Hope this will help, I’ve found an SS Accra, belonging initially to the British and African Steam Navigation Company Ltd; before coming under the ownership of Elder, Dempster and Co as listed on 28/3/1903, as show in the extract below.

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/70176/70176-h/70176-h.htm#Page_167

Ps you may need to scroll up a page or two

Many thanks Knotty, at the very least the article suggests that there was a ship of that name in (pre) 1903, which is more than I’ve found!

Alan

SS ACCRA  Off No 102608  Built 1893 by the Naval Construction & Armament Co. Barrow. one of nine sister ships for the British & African Steam Navigation Co, later Elder Dempster. The ship was sold in 1920 and broken up in Bombay in 1925

Doesn't appear to be any long term chartering by the Government during WW1, maybe the odd voyage charter, probably maintained the Company Service throughout the war?

Not a very good picture from a postcard in the public domain

Tony

Accra.jpg

34 minutes ago, MerchantOldSalt said:

SS ACCRA  Off No 102608  Built 1893 by the Naval Construction & Armament Co. Barrow. one of nine sister ships for the British & African Steam Navigation Co, later Elder Dempster. The ship was sold in 1920 and broken up in Bombay in 1925

Doesn't appear to be any long term chartering by the Government during WW1, maybe the odd voyage charter, probably maintained the Company Service throughout the war?

Not a very good picture from a postcard in the public domain

Tony

Accra.jpg

Hi Tony

That's brilliant, many thanks for your help.

Kind regards

Alan