Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Navy Badge Identification

Claire1966

Hello,

I wonder if there's anyone who can tell me anything about this badge and pin I've inherited please? It's a dark blue fabric and you can just make out the pin to the left of the badge on the first picture.

I can't make out the regiment number on the reverse as the clasp is stitched into place and I don't want to remove it.

I think it could have belonged to my Great Uncle who served in the Royal Navy as a Leading Seaman Gunner in WW1. His ship, HMS Dalegarth Force was sunk by torpedo in the Bristol Channel in April 1918 and he died from exhaustion and exposure. He was born in Clitheroe, Lancashire and is remember in the CWGX Southern Cemetery in Manchester.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Claire

image.jpeg.25ac7f660bad2d458f5d03a2d3ce58e0.jpeg

reverse of medal.jpg

41 minutes ago, Claire1966 said:

...I can't make out the regiment number on the reverse...

reverse of medal.jpg

I suspect that is a design registration number for the brooch rather than any sort of regimental number.

Appears to be a type of

"in memoriam" pin/brooch to me.

7 minutes ago, Andrew Upton said:

I suspect that is a design registration number for the brooch rather than any sort of regimental number.

Thank you Andrew. I thought it might be regimental as it says "Regd No" but your answer makes sense as well.

5 minutes ago, RNCVR said:

Appears to be a type of

"in memoriam" pin/brooch to me.

Thank you very much. It must have been given to my Great Grandparents after their son had been killed.

If your GU was Ernest SHORROCK, then he was Mersey Division, Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve (RNVR), not Royal Navy (RN). He would have been one of two naval seaman gunners in the SS DALEGARTH FORCE (not HMS), which was a Defensively Armed Merchant Ship (DAMS).

Edited by horatio2

If indeed Ernest Shorrock was your great uncle, the attached images may be of interest to you. (courtesy of Clitheroe Advertiser and Times, 26 April 1918 via Find My Past)

Shorrock 1.jpg

Shorrock 2.jpg

Shorrock 3.jpg

1 hour ago, horatio2 said:

If your GU was Ernest SHORROCK, then he was Mersey Division, Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve (RNVR), not Royal Navy (RN). He would have been one of two naval seaman gunners in the SS DALEGARTH FORCE (not HMS), which was a Defensively Armed Merchant Ship (DAMS).

That's correct! Weirdly the information I quoted was from De Ruvigny's Roll Of Honour which I thought would be spot on!

1 hour ago, Allan1892 said:

If indeed Ernest Shorrock was your great uncle, the attached images may be of interest to you. (courtesy of Clitheroe Advertiser and Times, 26 April 1918 via Find My Past)

Shorrock 1.jpg

Shorrock 2.jpg

Shorrock 3.jpg

That's brilliant, thank you so much. There's a whole lot of information there that I didn't know. I do remember Mum mentioning an Auntie Jepson and that name certainly appears on our Family Tree. The Shorrock family came from Darwen and Eccles Shorrock was involved in building India Mill.

On 11/01/2024 at 15:59, Claire1966 said:

That's brilliant, thank you so much. There's a whole lot of information there that I didn't know. I do remember Mum mentioning an Auntie Jepson and that name certainly appears on our Family Tree. The Shorrock family came from Darwen and Eccles Shorrock was involved in building India Mill.

The Eccles Shorrock who built India Mill, Darwen was born Eccles Shorrock Ashton and dropped the name Ashton under the terms of his uncle’s will. 

2 hours ago, familyhistoryman said:

The Eccles Shorrock who built India Mill, Darwen was born Eccles Shorrock Ashton and dropped the name Ashton under the terms of his uncle’s will. 

Thank you, yes he was my 3rd cousin, 4 x removed.

The newspaper cutting has the location of the sinking wrong. It states 'the Channel' - implying the English Channel.
As the OP has stated , the sinking was in the Bristol Channel (some 5 miles south east of Hartland Point, North Devon).

https://www.wrecksite.eu/wreck.aspx?13332