Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

medical records how to search

chaz

I have a pair to a Glosters soldier , from his pension card he had GSW's to both legs and arms. a record on Fold3 says he was wounded and entitled to wear a wound strip, he has a SWB but the incident date on the record has 21 Dec 1918.

there is an archive ref NLS 1918_WList74. He appears listed 27th Dec 1918.

obviously post Armistice so I would like to find when he was wounded and where or if he was a PoW ?

what is the best way or place to look?

The NLS reference is from The National Library of Scotland who have the official Casualty Lists. It's probably weekly list No. 74 but you'd have to see the original.

It won't actually tell you much if anything than already known.

Normally one would work back 3-4 weeks from 27/12/18. The SWB 'incident' date can only really be his discharge date so I don't see how he can be listed as a casualty a week after his discharge.

I'm not certain that a wounding after 11/11/18 would actually warrant a wound stripe. It's possible your resource just assumes he would get a stripe.

His name and number are needed really to drill into this.

TEW

War Office Weekly list Number 74 was published on the 27th December 1918 and includes the previous weeks daily lists, starting with the 21st. https://digital.nls.uk/british-military-lists/archive/144782246

I'd check other Gloucester Regiment men in the same part of the casualty list, (there are normally multiple sections in each daily list), to see if any were serving with the same Battalion, (according to their VM and BWM Roll entry or CWGC, etc for those killed) and then look for surviving service records. I'd avoid the died of wounds or corrective\update entries as they may well relate to an earlier period. Won't be 100% but it will narrow down the options.

Cheers,
Peter

thanks both.

I had been on the list page 22 r.h column, so will check out other names listed.

As for the source of the wound stripe that was Fold3.  https://www.fold3.com/record/752770165/britton-r-l-uk-wwi-daily-reports-missing-dead-wounded-and-pows-1914-1918

name Robert Leonard (aka Leo) Britton , 51973 1/5 Glos.

he enlisted on 17.9.1917 and discharged 20/8/1919  so only really looking at a short time frame , but as he was GSW in all four limbs , how bad were they .

from the LLT

November 1917 : moved with the Division to Italy.  I would think enlisting in September he would still be in training?? was he wounded in Italy, caught a later boat?

11 September 1918 : left the Division and returned to France.  looks like start of search
17 September 1918 : attached to 75th Brigade in 25th Division.  11/11/18 end of hostilities gives 2 months if wounded in France

1 hour ago, chaz said:

As for the source of the wound stripe that was Fold3.

Which came from Forces War Records when that site was purchased by the same company as Fold3 and Ancestry. To be treated with an immense pinch of salt until you can confirm from other sources.

1 hour ago, chaz said:

I had been on the list page 22 r.h column

I'm seeing him in the central column, and with next of kin living at Bristol. Assuming that means he was born in England & Wales, (BIG assumption), then the only likely candidate in the civil birth records is a Robert Leonard Britton, mothers' maiden name Cording, whose birth was registered with the civil authorities in the Bristol District in the October to December quarter, (Q4) of 1899.  I assume you've been able to find out a more accurate date of birth for him from the 1939 Register? Unfortunately looks like he died in 1968 so just before the GRO indexes of deaths in England & Wales went over to including dates of birth.

So unless he was one of those released early as part of the response to the German spring offensive, (and even then I believe they had to be 18 years and nine months), he probably didn't go out to a Theatre of War until his 19th birthday.

Cheers,
Peter

Edited by PRC
Typos

16 hours ago, TEW said:

I'm not certain that a wounding after 11/11/18 would actually warrant a wound stripe. It's possible your resource just assumes he would get a stripe.

Yes, it is the case that the wound badge comment appears for the casualty list transcription info that they sourced from NLS.
The soldier in question has a birth date of 8 Sep 1899, according to the 1939 Register.

Full Name
Britton, R L
Incident Details
War Office Daily List No.5754
Incident Date
21 Dec 1918
Rank Name
Private
Service Number
Casualty Listed as
Wounded
Next of Kin Address
Bristol
Wound Stripe
Entitled to wear a "Wound Stripe" as authorised under Army Order 204 of the 6th July 1916. The terms of this award being named on this list.
Service
British Army
Primary Unit
Gloucestershire Regiment
Archive Reference
NLS 1918_WList74
Conflict Period
World War I
Served for
United Kingdom
Copyright © 2024 Fold3® by Ancestry

2 hours ago, PRC said:

discharge also his age 19

I'm seeing him in the central column, and with next of kin living at Bristol. Assuming that means he was born in England & Wales, (BIG assumption), then the only likely candidate in the civil birth records is a Robert Leonard Britton, mothers' maiden name Cording, whose birth was registered with the civil authorities in the Bristol District in the October to December quarter, (Q4) of 1899.  I assume you've been able to find out a more accurate date of birth for him from the 1939 Register? Unfortunately looks like he died in 1968 so just before the GRO indexes of deaths in England & Wales went over to including dates of birth.

So unless he was one of those released early as part of the response to the German spring offensive, (and even then I believe they had to be 18 years and nine months), he probably didn't go out to a Theatre of War until his 19th birthday.

Cheers,
Peter

Yes corrected, Im having trouble with viewing as Adobe has changed all my settings, reading and printing everything from military to ebay...

mother was Louisa, he was born  8/9/1899   died 1st qtr 1968. his SWB gives dates of enlistment and discharge, also his age 19. 

so 19th birthday would have been 8/9/1918  , this date shows war diary as being on move from Italy to France around Abbeville. The reported injuries lie between 1th October and 26th October , in the line Quennemont, Sonia Wood , Honnechy ,Essarts Farm are a few names.

Now that the date of the wounding has been given as 11th - 26th October and he appears in an official casualty list two months later he was entitled to wear a wound stripe.

TEW