Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gas Cape

donald69

Hi

Hi

Can anybody please help me to identify this. I thought it was a gas cape but I can't find anything similar in that line. It seems to have inner and outer parts. Really grateful for any help. It belonged to a soldier who fought in both WWI and WWII.

Thanks Donald

BlackWatchCape1.jpg.621743b0f52070f8b7dc31e5b78ca60b.jpg

Can you provide better photos ?

Here in Australia WW1 & WW2 gas capes were still in use by the army cadets into the early 1970s (we used them as ground sheets). As far as I can remember there were only ever minor variations in the design for different periods of manufacture.

Hi Thanks for your reply. These are the photos I have. There seems to be an inner section and an outer. The owner served in both wars wwi and WWII. 
Donald

IMG_5681.jpeg

IMG_5680.jpeg

IMG_5679.jpeg

IMG_5678.jpeg

IMG_5677.jpeg

What is the fabric like, a canvas with a rubber coating on the outside ?

It certainly appears to be like a gas cape but with a number of details I have never seen before such as straps over pocket flaps. The collar seems smaller than usual.

Are there any markings?   All of the capes that I have handled in the last 20 years had manufacturer's markings and most had a year of manufacturer.

A key difference between WW1 & WW2 capes is that the WW2 examples had a much better vulcanising technology for the rubber. The WW1 examples were more prone to the rubber gluing surfaces of the cape together or going hard and cracking. The cracks often tearing through the canvas. The WW2 were much more common than the WW1.

There are no markings at all. I wouldn’t say that it has an obvious coating of any kind. I have not actually touched the material which seems very delicate. I will check again. I wonder if I am barking up the wrong tree altogether in thinking of gas.
Thanks for your help. Knowing that some things don’t fit is very helpful. 
Donald

Hi Donald,

It’s not a ‘gas-cape’ from either war. It appears to be made from Mackintosh Material - a thin rubber compound sandwiched between two outer layers of canvas duck. The British did introduce a ‘Mac Cape’ in 1914, but as a purely waterproof item - it was a ‘stores item’ and not general issue - I don’t think your example is of this pattern. There was in fact no British issue gas-cape during the Great War. Troops were issued with ‘Ground Sheets’ in three patterns - Mks V, VI & VII. Measuring 6’ x 3’, they were simply rectangular sheets of dyed cotton, proofed with a vulcanised rubber compound on one side and with brass eyelets around the edge - 36 in number for the MK V, reduced to 18 in 1915 for the MK VI. The MK VII, introduced in 1917, was a modification of the MK VI - simply by adding a collar and buttons, the ‘sheet’ was transformed into a ‘cape’, sometimes erroneously referred to as a ‘gas cape’. This pattern continued in service largely unaltered beyond WW2. The British did not introduce a true anti gas cape until the late 1930’s - a lightweight oil cloth garment designed specifically to protect against mustard type visicant gasses - the shiny side providing initial protection and also shedding any gas residue, unlike Mackintosh type material. The anti gas cape was issued in addition to the waterproof cape - it was more fragile and was not to be used as a waterproof.

All that said, sorry,  I can’t help with the specific pattern of your example, other than to point out what it clearly isn’t. My best guess would be something like a post Great War dispatch riders type waterproof garment.

All the best,

Pete

Edited by Pete_C

Thanks Pete. That is very helpful. I was beginning to realise that I was on the wrong track. The owner served in both wars and in various places. He was involved with cavalry at one point. It’s maybe connected with that. 
Thanks again

Donald

4 minutes ago, donald69 said:

Thanks Pete. That is very helpful. I was beginning to realise that I was on the wrong track. The owner served in both wars and in various places. He was involved with cavalry at one point. It’s maybe connected with that. 
Thanks again

Donald

That’s interesting - the cavalry connection might be relevant and certainly worth further research. 

Pete