Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Scots Guards Piper?

Vic B

Does anyone know whether this photo is of a Scots Guards Piper? Also, any idea of the year? Thanks!

Vic

Piper.jpg

There are other - better qualified experts on here - but this doesn't look like a military piper to me. I can see no regimental insignia at all - I would expect to see it on the sporran cantle and belt buckle and plates on the cross belt. I would also expect to see collar insignia (the collar on his doublet does not look like the standard military doublet collar), same with his brogues.  My guess would be this is a civilian piper.

Chris

30 minutes ago, Vic B said:

Thank you!

Vic

I would wait for one of the experts to chime in - I am frequently in error!

Chris

Civilian. Pipe bands are almost paramilitary in nature drill, commands and dress to some extent. Brian

The open rever, stepped collar, with white gingham shirt and dark tie, plus the lack of any insignia whatsoever, are a dead giveaway that it’s not a British military piper.

I think that his shirt is actually hanging out over the top of the kilt as it’s bottom edge can be seen in several places beneath the doublet. 

His kilt appears to be new, as it still has white threads securing the pleats on one edge.  The kilt appears to have a hem and seems uncharacteristically smooth in its weave too.

There are also no hose tabs.

Edited by FROGSMILE

22 minutes ago, Vic B said:

That's good information. The photo was taken in Canada.

Vic

That doesn’t surprise me.  At the turn of the century and up to the outbreak of WW1 there was apparently huge and heartfelt enthusiasm for things Scottish Highlands, but a not surprising lack of detailed knowledge given the modernity of North American culture in general.  Apparently there was a lot of adaptation and surmise in some areas during the early stages of dressing Canadian Scottish units.  That’s not to say it was the case everywhere, with parts of upper Canada and Newfoundland having great family based knowledge.  

Edited by FROGSMILE

It must have been interesting times back then. The gentleman, whose identity is unknown, undoubtedly had great pride in his Scottish heritage and wanted a photograph taken of him in a studio setting. It's a great photo, I think. Thanks!

Vic  

There is something strange about the way that kilt sits. Has a pleat been let out by any chance?

RM

27 minutes ago, rolt968 said:

There is something strange about the way that kilt sits. Has a pleat been let out by any chance?

RM

It looks like it I agree. 

Looks like his kilt is inside out! If you observe the white cloth behind his sporran cantle, that is the waist lining and also indicates that this is a civilian kilt as army liners are plain off white blanket material without a design printed on them. It also looks like this is a new kilt as the pleats are still sown closed. 

He's a proud civvy.  His kit's a bit of mess .........  besides what's been pointed out he has a missing buckle on his left shoe.  The kilt does look a bit like a part finished home made affair dosn't it.  All said, that's one fine moustache and a fine set of pipes by the look of the drones!  

46 minutes ago, TullochArd said:

He's a proud civvy.  His kit's a bit of mess .........  besides what's been pointed out he has a missing buckle on his left shoe.  The kilt does look a bit like a part finished home made affair dosn't it.  All said, that's one fine moustache and a fine set of pipes by the look of the drones!  

I hope that he could actually play the pipes he holds.  The dress was so closely associated with the pipes themselves that I struggle to see how a truly competent piper could be so unfamiliar with the dress that he ends up looking jarringly odd.  The position of the sporran alone makes me wince.  It seems likely to me that he’s one of two things.  Either, a man with perhaps a proud Highland name, who wanted a portrait photo of himself dressed in the clothes of what he perceives to be ‘the old country’, or or perhaps a North American (in its widest sense) who genuinely learned to play the pipes, but wasn’t raised in the right environment to become familiar with the dress. 

Edited by FROGSMILE