Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bombing huts

depaor01

Hi all,

While delivering a talk on Tallaght Aerodrome in Dublin, I described a set of plans that included a bombing hut. I was asked how bombing could be practiced in a hut. Hadn't a clue so if anyone could enlighten me as to what went on in this hut I'd be very grateful!

wm_OPW5HC486335.jpg.f549275369f1f7d0324cc0c4e546debc.jpg

Thanks,

Dave

"bombing"could be referring to hand grenades so don't jump to conclusions.

Incidentally lm puzzled as to why the central room is on a raised level .

On 09/01/2024 at 22:16, depaor01 said:

Hi all,

While delivering a talk on Tallaght Aerodrome in Dublin, I described a set of plans that included a bombing hut. I was asked how bombing could be practiced in a hut. Hadn't a clue so if anyone could enlighten me as to what went on in this hut I'd be very grateful!

wm_OPW5HC486335.jpg.f549275369f1f7d0324cc0c4e546debc.jpg

Thanks,

Dave

Hi

Synthetic training for air personnel was quite common during WW1, reference aerial bombing training there were various methods, at RFC Thetford there was a bomb-dropping tower (outside the Bombing Hut?), image from page 73 of 'The Airman's War 1914-18' by Peter H Liddle:

Image_20240114_0001.jpg.d72a5960099a3f41437dc25817c5ec1c.jpg

Or an indoor version, this in use by the Belgians, from page 408 of 'The Belgian Air Force in the First World War' by Walter Pieters:

Image_20240114_0002.jpg.0b2f4e0dbb27267de3deedb8b3788334.jpg

Both used a moving map display below the mock up cockpit for the trainee 'bomb aimer'.  At the very least a hut would be needed for lectures on the 'theory' of bomb dropping as well as to look at different types of bombsights and bombs they might have to use.  Similar methods were used for air gunnery, artillery spotting etc.

Mike

Thanks Mike,

There's one of those towers in metal built onto a structure in Baldonnel aerodrome in Dublin of similar vintage. I think I described something like the Belgian pic but wasn't sure I was correct. 

Dave

From late 1917, a brick bomb-dropping tower was added as an integral part of a coupled GS shed, both 16 and 15-bay styles plus the final 9-bay unit. The tower was added to the brick gantries that housed the opened doors. For whatever reason, towers were added at some Training Depot Stations that trained scout pilots (e.g. Hooton Park and Chattis Hill). A drawing of of the standardised tower appears in the Gorrell Report - copy attached.

Bomb dropping tower .jpg

Excellent.  Thanks. I took a photo of the existing bombing tower some time ago. I'll post it when I can get to my archives!

Dave