Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

6332 Cpl H Baldwin RFC / RAF Despatch Rider EEF was he wounded?

Clive ex RAF plumber

Good Evening All,  Back in 2017 I was fortunate enough to be the winning bidder at auction for a 1914-15 Star trio plus MID to 6332 Cpl H Baldwin RFC/RAF who served with the Egyptian Expeditionary Force.  Cpl H. Baldwin was a pre-war amateur motorcyclist who served with the RFC / RAF as a Despatch Rider and was mentioned in despatches (LG 11 June 1918). When I received the medals included in the package was an RAF Wound Stripe I have checked his service record and have been unable to confirm any wounds received during his service, can anyone confirm a wound or throw any light on his award of an MID.  Kind Regards Clive

The relevant Gazette entry is simply a long list of names, from all arms of the services and ranks, that General Sir E.H.H Allenby, the commander of the Egyptian Expeditionary Force, wished to note had served or were serving under his command, and whose distinguished and gallant services and devotion to duty he considered deserving of special mention. The actual dispatch was dated 3 April 1918.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30746/supplement/7048

14 hours ago, Tawhiri said:

The relevant Gazette entry is simply a long list of names, from all arms of the services and ranks, that General Sir E.H.H Allenby, the commander of the Egyptian Expeditionary Force, wished to note had served or were serving under his command, and whose distinguished and gallant services and devotion to duty he considered deserving of special mention. The actual dispatch was dated 3 April 1918.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30746/supplement/7048

Thank you so much for your comment it made me realise that what I need to do is ascertain what operations General Sir E.H.H. Allenby's despatch covered and what the role of the RFC / RAF was in these operations (if memory serves me correctly 17 and 32 squadrons - need to check this) to gain a better understanding of what Cpl H Baldwin's could have been doing.  Thanks again Clive

1 hour ago, nils d said:

This is the first time I've read of a dispatch rider being awarded a honour.

I must admit in over 50 years of collecting medals to the RFC / RAF it's the first MID group I've seen to a despatch rider but have no idea on it's rarity. Regards Clive