Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Camp site, Albert

Guest dovotr

Could someone help me out with these questions?

How close to Albert Train station is the camp site?

How much does it Cost?

Is advisable or possible to book ahead?

Thanks for your help :rolleyes:

How much does it Cost?

Is that the Velodrome campsite? Is it still going???? :blink:

If this is the one you mean, it's about 10 minutes walk from the station with a heavy bergen on your back and severely blistered feet. (about 700 yds)

Cost - unsure , but cheap (about 15F per night last time I was there in the pre-Euro days). It's very basic though.

Last time I was there I arrived on 29th June (early 90's). There was no problem finding a pitch and there was still room available on July 1st for footsloggers.

Hope this is of some help. If it's the Authuille site you refer to, then you've a bit of a longer walk!!!

Dave.

If it's the Authuille site you refer to, then you've a bit of a longer walk!!!

Dave.

Yes, more of a forced march !!!!! :D

Cheers

Tim.

In 1991 I took a train trip around Europe with pal. We stoped off in Albert. Day 1 was a walk to the Authuille campsite - via laBoiselle and Thiepval. A heck of a trek. Day 2 based around Authuille walking out to Newfoundland etc. Supplies in morning day 2 from Albert. One hell of a walk with a pack to fetch tucker and some fresh fruit.

Campsite owner asked how we had come replied on foot - au pied!!! she exclaimed. But to be camping in the middle of battlefield area was worth the blisters!

Doc

In 1991 I took a train trip around Europe with pal. We stoped off in Albert. Day 1 was a walk to the Authuille campsite - via laBoiselle and Thiepval. A heck of a trek. Day 2 based around Authuille walking out to Newfoundland etc. Supplies in morning day 2 from Albert. One hell of a walk with a pack to fetch tucker and some fresh fruit.

Campsite owner asked how we had come replied on foot - au pied!!! she exclaimed. But to be camping in the middle of battlefield area was worth the blisters!

Doc

Doc

ALBERT CAMPSITE

This is certainly the worst campsite we ever stayed at. Our visit, much against the advice of other Dutch members of the WFA, was in the early 90s.

Somehow the water was cut off at midnight, so the loos were not working at all. This was visible the morning after when there were excrements lying about.

So we had to 'spend a penny' elsewhere.

Maybe the campsite has been renovated adn maybe there are other campers now.

All the best,

Fred

How much does it Cost?

hi mate,

the campsite at Albert has been renovated and has hot water.

if you want any imfo phone me on 01515217650.

joe(rumjar)

ALBERT CAMPSITE

This is certainly the worst campsite we ever stayed at. Our visit, much against the advice of other Dutch members of the WFA, was in the early 90s.

Somehow the water was cut off at midnight, so the loos were not working at all. This was visible the morning after when there were excrements lying about.

So we had to 'spend a penny' elsewhere.

Maybe the campsite has been renovated adn maybe there are other campers now.

All the best,

Fred

WORST CAMP SITE EVER!!!!!!!

you didnt have to endure the mons march .

la quesnoy la grand.

after 23 mile of marching our forward came to a camp site the council had put on for us was covered in food wrappings and niddles.

so kristof our belgium connection drove on to a local camp site ( for local people).

anyway le quesnoy la grand great fort .

BUt watch the travelers on the camp site.

ALBERT CAMPSITE

jOE, i'M GLAD TO HEAR THAT THE CAMPSITE HAS BEEN RENOCATED.

Trenchwalker: Ive never had the doubtful pleasure of staying at Le Quesnoy.

Dovotr: why not go to www.somme-tourisme.com as recommended by Paul Reed some time ago. They will send you a map and useful information, e.g. where to hire a bike.

The reason we once stayed at the Albert Campsite was that we always stayed at the Port de Plaisance campsite in Péronne and then went to Albert for a copious meal at the Grand Hotel de la Paix. Driving back from Albert on the scenic road to Péronne, we often had to slow down when suddenly a tractor appeared on the road. By the way, the Péronne campsite, near the wonderful Mémorial de la Grande Guerre, is a very good one, three stars and uyou can hire badic accomodation. There is also a Municipal (one star) in Péronne.

The Albert campsite still has only one star.

There are two campsites at Authuille, a one-star oneand a two or three star one. A friend of mine always goes there for a short stay in summer. I don't know which one, but he is very choosy.

All the best,

Fred

Autuille Campsite

My fastidious friend mentioned in the previous posting always goes to BELLEVUE.

There are two beautiful cemeteries nearby.

All the best.

Fred

How much does it Cost?

Albert camp site has 2stars if you are on foot it is the best site on the Somme.

it was bad in the past but now it is the best i would give it 3stars.

joe.(rumjar).

ps,as for the Dutch i could tell some tales.