Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

trench lighter

rk51

I found this in my Grandpa's trunk. I believe it's called a trench light. From what I can determine it's missing the flint assembly.

I also wonder if the wording has any significance?

Thanks in advance

IMG_8924.jpg

IMG_8926.jpg

1 hour ago, rk51 said:

...I also wonder if the wording has any significance?...

It's a name with plenty of significance particularly to the French:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Verdun

Thanks for the reply. I would then assume this was something made in recognition of that battle. Does the design on either side provide any clues as to where or when it was made? Again, I assume it was something he got in France while he was there during the war. By the condition it's in I would guess it is something he used in the field. 

13 hours ago, rk51 said:

Thanks for the reply. I would then assume this was something made in recognition of that battle. Does the design on either side provide any clues as to where or when it was made? Again, I assume it was something he got in France while he was there during the war. By the condition it's in I would guess it is something he used in the field. 

Hi rk51.

These round disc like lighters were generally made in the towns and cities where Allied troops spent time away from the trenches. In effect they were 'souvenirs'... so if your Grandpa served in the trenches after visiting one of these towns then the lighter could well have been used in the front line. 

The name Verdun was often used on these French lighters caricaturing Crown Prince Wilhelm, son of Kaiser Wilhelm II, who lead the German 5th Army in the battle. I attach an image of a more common Verdun lighter. You'll note the name of the battle under the figure.

To have your Grandpa's, in an less usual design, is a very precious item to own. 

Gunner

Image from Worthpoint

92D7DF1D-AF97-48C8-8578-2DF64237684A.jpeg

Edited by Gunner 87