Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

unknown ribbon

rk51

Hi I hope you can help identify this ribbon. It was found in my grandpa's trunk. I have no idea if it is ours or possibly one from the other side. Any help appreciated

Thanks in advance

IMG_8911.jpg

It appears to be upside-down, and should be:

image.png.a14b00909a0d8a16484e5af018e92d28.png

Not an area of my particular interest, but comparing to:

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/attachments/orders-decorations-third-reich/561545d1377863239-medal-bar-identification-chart-image.jpg

It looks to me to be either 1. and 35. or 1. and 51. (Iron Cross plus the Hamburg Hansa War Cross or the Spanish Red Military Service Cross respectively). I would guess on the former combination over the latter personally.

image.png.a8fcd28b9a3b274fcda2e83826b2736a.png

Edited by Andrew Upton

Thanks for the reply. While the color scheme matches, it is more of a bar than what's displayed. I failed to mention if it helps, that he was in WW1. For some reason, I can't open the link you provided.

Again appreciate the response

6 hours ago, rk51 said:

While the color scheme matches, it is more of a bar than what's displayed.

The Germans in 'Allo 'Allo (and many other telly programmes) have very short stretches of individual ribbons above their pockets, looking very like your example.

aim.

7 hours ago, rk51 said:

Thanks for the reply. While the color scheme matches, it is more of a bar than what's displayed. I failed to mention if it helps, that he was in WW1. For some reason, I can't open the link you provided.

Again appreciate the response

As indicated above - it's a ribbon bar, used to less formally represent an individuals actual medals (on a reduced scale) on their clothing when the medals themselves were not worn, eg:

image.png.ba95bafea56479a829d43337062ffe53.png

On 08/01/2024 at 20:49, Andrew Upton said:

It looks to me to be either 1. and 35. or 1. and 51. (Iron Cross plus the Hamburg Hansa War Cross or the Spanish Red Military Service Cross respectively). I would guess on the former combination over the latter personally.

It's very unlikely to be the Iron Cross and the Spanish decoration.  There was a WWI commemorative medal that was introduced in 1934, which would have been present on the post 1936 bar of a WWI veteran involved in the Spanish Civil War.

Also of note, it's two individual decorations represented by a single ribbon.  They made these for some of the more common combinations.

I've got a very similar post 1934 bar myself, including the Hindenburg Cross:

3x EK Hamburg Hansa_OBV.jpg

Thanks for your reply. To clarify, you think this might be a ribbon worn in place of a full metal? We found no metals and not aware of one. However, family never much talked about the war. 

11 minutes ago, rk51 said:

Thanks for your reply. To clarify, you think this might be a ribbon worn in place of a full metal? We found no metals and not aware of one. However, family never much talked about the war. 

Full medals were generally only worn on the day the awards were given, and when the soldier was in their most formal full dress uniforms.  The small ribbon bars were worn on the semi-formal walking out uniforms, all the way down to the standard day to day uniforms worn in battle.  

• Michelle Young changed the title to unknown ribbon