Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

trousers

Rosspiper

I’m not an expert on SD trousers by any means, although I recall discussing them here in the forum well over a decade ago.  What I can say is that the zinc buttons, fishtail back and lack of side pockets (there was just a ticket pocket I seem to recall - with side pockets added on a later pattern) are all commensurate with the pre and early war pattern.  They were very high waisted and designed to be so, in order to provide an extra layer of warmth around the kidneys.

Canvas braces without rubber stretch were provided to draw the trouser tops up high, just below the rib cage.  This could be very restrictive when required to do physical labour involving the upper body, and it was extremely common for men to wear a waistbelt too and shrug off the braces to hang down whenever they needed the freedom of movement for shoulders and arms.  The waist belts were frequently canvas, or leather (or combination of both) and many men fixed badges to them as keepsakes, or trophies, and as a means of identifying their own belts.

NB.  I think there’s an old thread with definitive detail by Joe Sweeney, but I cannot find it at the moment.

IMG_7676.jpeg

IMG_1727.jpeg

IMG_1731.jpeg

IMG_1730.jpeg

IMG_1732.jpeg

IMG_1729.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

hello,

they are ww1 canadian trousers pattern 1903

Here two pictures from a seller web site

Gerald

C005689A.jpg

C005689B.jpg

And here is a late war British made pair from the Imperial War Museum collection with a label dating 1917.  These have side pockets.

IMG_1736.jpeg

IMG_1734.jpeg

IMG_1735.jpeg

IMG_1739.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE