Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WWI Helmet Insignia Marking Identification

rozzi

Hello all,

I am a bit out of my wheelhouse on this one and was hoping to get some assistance in trying to identify this helmet insignia.  I've done many Google image searches, but can't seem to find anything close.  To my eye, I see the number "7" located in the middle.  I can also see a possible "ST" which is in the "banner" below the 7 slightly to left in the photos.  My first thought when I saw it was that it was from a Canadian unit, however the helmet is named.  My initial research into the vet leads me to believe he served in a British artillery unit.  (95 brigade)    I have not confirmed that yet though.  Can anyone shed some light on it?  Thanks for looking.  I appreciate it.  P.S.  Happy to supply more photos if needed.        

HM5.jpeg

HM4.jpeg

HM3.jpeg

HM1.jpeg

HM.jpeg

I think that we need the badge experts to weigh in here, @FROGSMILE @CorporalPunishment.

Regards,

JMB

13 minutes ago, JMB1943 said:

I think that we need the badge experts to weigh in here, @FROGSMILE @CorporalPunishment.

Regards,

JMB

Unfortunately steel helmet insignia isn’t so well recorded as other types and personally it’s not something that I’ve studied much.  It looks very garish to be British, whose helmet markings that I have seen tended to be more restrained.

Edited by FROGSMILE

When I first saw this, (and I’m no expert), my first impression is it’s relatively modern paint. The colour is too bright and fresh to be old insignia, and it seems to be painted over rust and cracks….just my personal thoughts…sorry.

Dave.

7 minutes ago, Dave66 said:

When I first saw this, (and I’m no expert), my first impression is it’s relatively modern paint. The colour is too bright and fresh to be old insignia, and it seems to be painted over rust and cracks….just my personal thoughts…sorry.

Dave.

I agree and whatever it's supposed to be it's not anywhere near as old as the helmet.      Pete.

Thank you all for the replies and the opinions on the paint.  I really appreciate it!  

I am at the opposite end of the scale from ‘expert’ when it comes to this subject. 
When I initially looked at this thread my thoughts were that someone in the past had used nail varnish on it. I’m afraid I can’t make out what the image could be. From my rank amateur standing on the subject I think the decoration looks too large compared to others I have seen. Perhaps the original owner allowed his children or grandchildren to decorate it but this is a wild guess on my part. I would be interested in seeing more photos in case another member can identify the age/model of the shell or perhaps country of manufacture.

Simon

Thanks Simon.  I have attached some additional photos of the helmet.  I probably should have included these in my original post to give an idea of the totality of it.  Unfortunately, I have no background on it.  This was a local pick up and was essentially thrown with with some other items I was buying. The seller had purchased some neighboring farm land and this was found in one of the structures.  He is not a militaria collector.  I did notice that it has some type of bail on the rear of the helmet, which I don't have an idea as to why it would be there.  I also could not find any stamped markings on the interior.  Either they are really buried in paint or possibly non-existent.  I was able to locate a name written inside, which can partially be seen in the photo showing the closeup of the bail.  The rank is "B.S.M.", then the last name, then first/middle initials.  

thumbnail (26).jpeg

thumbnail (29).jpeg

thumbnail (30).jpeg

thumbnail (31).jpeg

thumbnail (32).jpeg

thumbnail (33).jpeg

thumbnail (51).jpeg

thumbnail (27).jpeg

thumbnail (28).jpeg

The best views of the badge suggest a Canadian Maple Leaf with a 7 superimposed on, but whether it is authentic, or not, is another matter.   The enclosed badge has the 7 positioned much higher up.

IMG_1747.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE