Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Brass stock disc I.D.

Rosspiper

SMLE Stock disc with E.D. 97. is this a unit. Thank you Brian

Edited by Rosspiper

It would be helpful to see a picture - sometimes the fonts used give a clue.

ED. (note difference in punctuation) is given as the code for Edinburgh (Scotland)

I cannot think of any units that would be E.D. and a quick scan through "The Broad Arrow" (reference work) doesn't show anything identical

In NZ use E^D  (where ^ = upwards pointing broad arrow) is noted as Education Department 

D might be Depot. if so (and I am guessing here), potentially in a Canadian context Esquimalt Depot (Vancouver) - E is recorded as the station mongrams for Canadian Ordnance Depot Esquimalt.

This is a pure guess - others may have better insights.

Chris

Hello, Brian - Is the rifle still complete?  If so. what is the date of manufacture?  Regards, Torrey

Thanks - the font appears to be the standard one used on British rifles of the GW era.

The disc would appear to show ED. 

This is recorded in Skennerton's "Broad Arrow" (p124) as the abbreviation code for Edinburgh (under County and Area titles) I am not sure what sort of unit or establishment using this abbreviation would have been issued with rifles but it is the only direct match I can see.

Chris

If the rifle had been on issue to other countries i.e, Canada, Australia, New Zealand. There would be clear marks elsewhere on the rifle denoting the country in addition to any buttstock disc.  Canada - 'C Broad Arrow,  Australia - 'D Broad Arrow D',  New Zealand - 'N Broad Arrow Z'.  Canadian marks are often quite insignificant and may appear on the receiver or under the rear handguard.  In the absence of any of these marks, taking into consideration both the Skennerton and Laidler publications it's possible that the rifle was in held in reserve in the Edinburgh area, in all likelihood at the castle as no issue date is present.  However both unit and armourers, often did not follow the prescribed abbreviations, leading to confusion or miss -identification  If you can remove the disc look at the reverse as often a previous unit which had the rifle on issue may be marked.

Edited by JRG

I removed the disc it is blank on the reverse. Only the British broad arrow on the rifle. Thank you for your help. Brian

19 hours ago, Rosspiper said:

I removed the disc it is blank on the reverse. Only the British broad arrow on the rifle. Thank you for your help. Brian

Ahh Darn, I was getting ready to visit the curators at the Canadian Forces Base Esquimalt Military Museum in hopes of a home town lead.  Well I’ll just have to find another reason to visit the museum…because it Tuesday I guess *** oh wait darn work getting in the way again.

https://navalandmilitarymuseum.org/ )

• 4 weeks later...

On 08/01/2024 at 19:05, 4thGordons said:

Thanks - the font appears to be the standard one used on British rifles of the GW era.

The disc would appear to show ED. 

This is recorded in Skennerton's "Broad Arrow" (p124) as the abbreviation code for Edinburgh (under County and Area titles) I am not sure what sort of unit or establishment using this abbreviation would have been issued with rifles but it is the only direct match I can see.

Chris

FWIW! This ED marking is in the 1916 version of the Instructions for armourers, p.193, APPENDIX IX, LIST III, which begins:

"The following is a code of abbreviations to be used in marking arms of certain corps whose titles are not to be found in List I or II. Above their abbreviated corps marks the letter Y will be placed in the case of Yeomanry. Examples of the mode of combining abbreviations of titles common to several units with the numerals, &c., that are necessary to distinguish each individual unit bearing the common title, are given at the end of the Appendix."

So, not a lot really...

Julian