Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Etymology of 'Yeomanry Post' Zillebeke

John Beech

Afternoon All

I am looking to see if anyone knows the origins behind the naming of the position known as 'Yeomanry Post' on trench maps, which is a pre-war farm on Schachteweidestraat at Zillebeke. There is a modern farm in this location today. For those that know this area, Schachteweidestraat is the road that loops from off Zandvoordestraat, passes Maple Corpse Cemetery and comes out on Maaldestedestraat opposite Tuileries British Cemetery on the outskirts of Zillebeke.  

I have looked at McMasters, WFA Trench Mapper and the National Library of Scotland trench map archives and the earliest maps showing the farm as 'Yeomanry Post' date from 1916. Peter Chasseaud makes mention of it in 'Rat's Alley' but only to link the name to a military unit ie yeomanry, but I suspect it's naming dates from earlier than this.

The farm is well sited on the higher ground overlooking Sanctuary Wood and Zouave Wood and had an uninterrupted view beyond the Menin Road to Bellewaarde Ridge 

I am wondering whether the name dates from First Ypres as Yeomanry units were in the general area at this time including the Oxfordshire Hussars, the Northumberland Hussars and the North Somerset Yeomanry.

The naming could recognise the involvement of the North Somerset Yeomanry in the defence of trenches along the Zillebeke - Klein Zillebeke Road by 6th Cavalry Brigade on 17 November 1914, which included holding off an attack by the Prussian Guard. This is a distinct possibility as the Brigade War Diary has reports from David 'Soarer' Campbell at Brigade and Julian Byng at Division, praising the conduct of the North Somerset Yeomanry, who had only been in the area a few days. Haig, at 1st Corps, has endorsed Byng's report adding 'this was a brilliant affair & I wish to bring to the immediate notice of the C in C the splendid behaviour of the North Somerset Yeomanry'.

Of, course it could be named for entirely different reasons as well!

Thank you in anticipation

John

Close Up Showing Yeomanry Post - Sheet Number. 28 NW. Edition number. 4b. 'Trenches corrected to 28-1-17.' Ordnance Survey, March 1917.png

• Admin
On 07/01/2024 at 17:18, John Beech said:

Afternoon All

I am looking to see if anyone knows the origins behind the naming of the position known as 'Yeomanry Post' on trench maps, which is a pre-war farm on Schachteweidestraat at Zillebeke. There is a modern farm in this location today. For those that know this area, Schachteweidestraat is the road that loops from off Zandvoordestraat, passes Maple Corpse Cemetery and comes out on Maaldestedestraat opposite Tuileries British Cemetery on the outskirts of Zillebeke.  

I have looked at McMasters, WFA Trench Mapper and the National Library of Scotland trench map archives and the earliest maps showing the farm as 'Yeomanry Post' date from 1916. Peter Chasseaud makes mention of it in 'Rat's Alley' but only to link the name to a military unit ie yeomanry, but I suspect it's naming dates from earlier than this.

The farm is well sited on the higher ground overlooking Sanctuary Wood and Zouave Wood and had an uninterrupted view beyond the Menin Road to Bellewaarde Ridge 

I am wondering whether the name dates from First Ypres as Yeomanry units were in the general area at this time including the Oxfordshire Hussars, the Northumberland Hussars and the North Somerset Yeomanry.

The naming could recognise the involvement of the North Somerset Yeomanry in the defence of trenches along the Zillebeke - Klein Zillebeke Road by 6th Cavalry Brigade on 17 November 1914, which included holding off an attack by the Prussian Guard. This is a distinct possibility as the Brigade War Diary has reports from David 'Soarer' Campbell at Brigade and Julian Byng at Division, praising the conduct of the North Somerset Yeomanry, who had only been in the area a few days. Haig, at 1st Corps, has endorsed Byng's report adding 'this was a brilliant affair & I wish to bring to the immediate notice of the C in C the splendid behaviour of the North Somerset Yeomanry'.

Of, course it could be named for entirely different reasons as well!

Thank you in anticipation

John

Close Up Showing Yeomanry Post - Sheet Number. 28 NW. Edition number. 4b. 'Trenches corrected to 28-1-17.' Ordnance Survey, March 1917.png

Hi John,

I have been wracking my brains on this one, looking through my notes on 1st Ypres, I am drawing a blank so far.

However if I may ask for help from @David_Blanchard and @brianmorris547 please. We may have come across the 'Yeomanry Post' in our searches for aid posts etc some time ago?

If you could assist please gents. If not then I have to go through a few WDs in search.

The Leicestershire Yeomanry were in this area 1914 but their WD has shown nothing.

Regards, Bob.

John, Bob

A starting point for you.

I am going through my list of 1915 maps of Zillebeke and the first map I see with Yeomanry Post marked is in the August 1915 WD of 14 Div HQ and a mention in the attached reports. I have not looked in the WDs of the Units where there may be more mentions. It is in regard to Ops at the end of July in Zouave Wood.

TNA/Ancestry WO 95/1864

Brian 

map 1864.jpg

14 HQ GS 1864.jpg

The only 1915 map with a Cavalry connection is this one from the February 1915 WD of 2 Cav Div HQ GS which shows some Units.

Hope it helps.

Brian

TNA/Ancestry WO 95/1117

2 Cav 1117.jpg

• Admin
5 hours ago, brianmorris547 said:

Hope it helps.

Brian

Thank you very much for these two posts Brian.

It helps my search.

I appreciate you going to the trouble to find them for us all.

Regards, Bob.

And there is also this sketch from the June 1915 WD of 3 Cavalry Div HQ. It puts some Yeomanry Units on the plot. I have looked through the 1915 RE WDs for that Division but not the named Units. Something tells me that the answer will be there somewhere.

Brian

TNA/Ancestry WO 95

3 Cav Div .jpg

Bob and Brian 

Many thanks for your replies.

Brian, it is interesting that you have turned up a sketch from June 1915 with the North Somerset's on, as that unit was my initial thinking for the origin of the name Think I need to hit the 3rd Cavalry Division, and 6th-8th Brigade War Diaries and those for the North Somerset's, Leicester and Essex Yeomanry to see if anything jumps out. Unfortunately the regimental histories for all the regiments are a bit sparse, except the Essex, but none mention Yeomanry Post. 

I will, of course post anything I find

Regards

John

Good luck John

I forgot to mention that the WD of 89 Field Co (14 Div RE) 02/08/1915 records that one section was sent to Yeomanry Post to strengthen the walls and to assist 10 Durhams.

Brian

• Admin

From the 7th Cavalry Field Ambulance, a map from 28/2/1915 showing the area but no Yeomanry Post marked.

Posting it here then it is all in the one place and easy to find.

Thanks for your continued help @brianmorris547 I am thinking that your method of indexing WDs is better than mine. :lol:

The diary is difficult to read in places but should I find a mention I will be sure to post it here.

Regards, Bob.

image.png.1e9331b7351be0bf83cdb13ddd8d0708.png

"The Oxfordshire Hussars in the Great War" written by Captain Adrian Keith-Falconer records the events of May 25th 1915 as follows:-

'After dark a trench was dug connecting the left of the Regiment with the infantry north of the Menin road and a new strong-point was formed and garrisoned by Captain Gill's squadron at a farm immediately south-west of Zouave Wood and roughly halfway between Hooge and Zillebeke; it was given the name of Yeomanry Post.  At 10.30pm the Regiment, less D Squadron, were relieved by the 5th Yorkshires, and went into support close by......'

It looks like the QOOH aka the Oxfordshire Yeomanry bestowed the name Yeomanry Post onto the location.  There is further detail of what happened whilst they were there including that a troop of R.E. was sent to help D Squadron QOOH put the post in a state of defence on May 27th.  On the 30th the QOOH were relieved by the North Somerset Yeomanry.

The QOOH lost two killed with nine injured in that period.

Mike Cross

• Admin
9 minutes ago, Mike Cross said:

"The Oxfordshire Hussars in the Great War" written by Captain Adrian Keith-Falconer records the events of May 25th 1915 as follows:-

'After dark a trench was dug connecting the left of the Regiment with the infantry north of the Menin road and a new strong-point was formed and garrisoned by Captain Gill's squadron at a farm immediately south-west of Zouave Wood and roughly halfway between Hooge and Zillebeke; it was given the name of Yeomanry Post.  At 10.30pm the Regiment, less D Squadron, were relieved by the 5th Yorkshires, and went into support close by......'

It looks like the QOOH aka the Oxfordshire Yeomanry bestowed the name Yeomanry Post onto the location.  There is further detail of what happened whilst they were there including that a troop of R.E. was sent to help D Squadron QOOH put the post in a state of defence on May 27th.  On the 30th the QOOH were relieved by the North Somerset Yeomanry.

The QOOH lost two killed with nine injured in that period.

Mike Cross

Mike Cross, thank you so much for this information, it is much appreciated.

A link to the book is here; https://archive.org/details/oxfordshirehussarsgtwar/page/127/mode/2up

Regards, Bob.

Good find Mike.

Thank you all

Apologies for the tardy reply have been away with work. Bob many thanks for the information. I have a copy of Keith-Falconer's book somewhere will dig it out and cross reference against the War Diary.  

Regards

John