Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cap badges and shoulder titles

MarkP

Hi guys, see the below cap badge advertised on the web but how can you tell if it's original ww1? Its being sold as an economy version which I think were produced from 1916?  Also seen brass shoulder titles being sold as ww1 but how can you tell the difference between ww1, inter-war years or early ww2?

Any tips would be helpful.

Cheers

image.jpeg.dc70c3d7e9edc849e96878430b923624.jpeg

image.jpeg

8 hours ago, MarkP said:

Hi guys, see the below cap badge advertised on the web but how can you tell if it's original ww1? Its being sold as an economy version which I think were produced from 1916?  Also seen brass shoulder titles being sold as ww1 but how can you tell the difference between ww1, inter-war years or early ww2?

Any tips would be helpful.

Cheers

image.jpeg.dc70c3d7e9edc849e96878430b923624.jpeg

image.jpeg

Your simplified production 1916 badge looks okay, but even they have been copied since WW1.

I’m afraid that collecting can be a minefield and for a long time, going back several decades now, restrike badges (using the sold-off original dies) and reproductions (often from Pakistan, Bangladesh, and India) have been produced purely for a collector’s international market.

There are some production methods, brazing techniques and different types of solder that can offer a clue, albeit even they have been copied since the internet opened up the market to be global.  Many badges have crossed the Atlantic to collectors there, and proven authenticity often commands a high premium making quite modest badges unaffordable for some.

I stopped collecting years ago but forum member @CorporalPunishment and @max7474 might be best able to advise of the current situation.  If genuine issue badges are so important to you then you should join the badge collectors forum where you will find many who share your interest: https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php

Edited by FROGSMILE

It is correct for a 1916-19 Devonshire's cap badge.  It is one of the more common all-brass badges.  There are at least 6 different die types for this badge.

There were 20000 Devonshire cap badges ordered by the WD.  Source The Bulletin of the Military Historical Society no 262 Vol 66 Nov 15.