Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pals Bn Cap Badge

Sgt York

I've just read this piffle on e-bay regarding a Liverpool Pals cap badge:

Liverpool Pals cap badge in brass, the Pals Battalions were the brain child of Lord Kitchener who invited young men to volunteer and to bring along friends and family, 'Your Country Needs You'

Regarding Liverpool Pals cap badges... I know that the original members were issued this badge in silver, but did they also receive it in brass (as the later members got) at the same time? Were the silver badges ever worn in France, or were they kept as souvenirs and the brass models worn?

Dave.

Dave,

Up to 4000 silver badges were issued to the original recruits of the 4 Pals Bns. Most of the silver badges were given to mothers, wives and girlfriends who had them made into brooches to be worn with pride on Merseyside. The officers wore a bronze 'Eagle & Child' cap badge and brass cap badges were issued to the OR's.

I love the following from 21515 Pte Hawnaur, 19 Bn:

On one occasion I was returning to the Bn, and arrived at the base depot somewhere in France. One peacetime sgt who noticed my cap badge screamed at me, 'What's that bloody bird doing in your hat? You're in the King's, so get an 'orse up there where it should be!". Despite my protests, it was only the intervention of an officer that saved the day.

A boy in our class at school brought one of these original silver cap badges in to show the history teacher. The boys grandfather had been an original 'Pal' and I wish I'd have known the significance of the item I'd held in my hand 40 odd years ago.

Ronnie.