Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

78th Field Ambulance - war diary

CheshireSandy

78th Field Ambulance War Diary - do transcribed entries appear anywhere? Some parts of the War Diary can be accessed from National Archives, both digitised and in hard copy.  Here's a short extract from September 1915. The 78th Field Ambulance (part of 26th Division) were in France from 20th September until the start of December that year. They then went to Salonika but those war diaries (Dec 1915 onwards) are only available to view in person at Kew.

25th September 1915 AILLY-SUR-SOMME:

6am Received 6 motor ambulances and 1 motorcycle.

9am Field Ambulance marched to AUBIGNY via DREUIL SUR AMIENS – CITADEL – HOSP.D’AVEUGLES - Point 70 - DAOURS

3pm Arrived AUBIGNY and proceeded forthwith to FOUILLOY.

3:50pm Arrived FOUILLOY and proceeded to occupy billets, adjacent to 28CCS, on account of proximity of which, no dressing station was opened.

5 casualties collected on line of march were evacuated to No 28 CCS.

26/9/1915 FOUILLOY

Remained in billets. Collected 9 casualties from units of Brigade by motor ambulance and evacuated all to No 28 CCS.

1915 War Diary 78th Field Ambulance September 25.jpgImage courtesy of the National Archives 

Sorry, admin - I didn't realise it was against the rules to post images from the National Archives. How do I edit the post to remove the image, please?

• Admin

Just edit your post (3 dots top right) saying image courtesy of National Archives. 

The three dots only gave me the option to report or share - no editing.

• Admin

Ok, will do the deed.