Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1907 Christmas / B,Day bayonet.

t.ryan

Picked up a nice clearly marked 1907 Sanderson bayonet whilst on walkabout. 

First the date was special to me, 4/18. My great Uncle was killed in France on 4/4/1918, and I had been looking for a nice 1907 with that date.

It has a regimental stamp T. over 7 B.W. over 273 which so far I have not been able to find, so hoping that someone can help out there. I cannot see it in my Broad Arrow Mk2 Book.

It was in a very nice Remington scabbard and I was very happy with the price.

Cheers,

TR

S1.jpg

S4.jpg

S5.jpg

S6.jpg

S7.jpg

S8.jpg

S9.jpg

S2.jpg

The T stands for Territorial Army so the 7th Battalion, Black Watch is a possibility as a "later period" unit designation. The '26 reissue stamp indicates it was still around in service during that post-war period.

Cheers,  SS 

Thanks for the info SS, much appreciated. Can do a bit more searching now I have a direction.

Cheers,

TR

That scabbard is very interesting to me, as it appears to be an original condition Remington made scabbard. It looks like it might be an RE over '17 down the left side of the seam, which would most likely make it one of the scabbards that accompanied the Patt.14 rifles and bayonets that were of course made in America. Marked examples like this still in the original brown leather are not common. 

Cheers,  SS 

It appears to be broad arrow over crown over 15 over RE over 17 in best light and is a nice brown leather in great condition.

I just checked it with my other RE scabbard on the Remington P13 bayonet I have and I noticed just now that this one has no rivets showing in the locket and no circle around the RE which the other RE scabbard does have. 

Cheers,

TR

MR TR,

A very nice condition pairing, thanks to Messrs. Sanderson & Remington!

Regards,

JMB

'T/7 BW' - this would be the 'Fife Battalion'. SS is correct in noting the 1926 're-issue' stamp, but that regimental marking is surely a pre- or wartime one. As it was, in 1921 the 7th was amalgamated with the 6th (Perthshire) Battalion, to form the 6th/7th (Perth and Fife) Battalion, so the marking certainly dates to before then. 

Trajan

It’s most likely a post-WW1 unit stamp. Immediately after WW1, units in Britain received allocations of equipment to take them up to full strength. That is where I have observed bayonets stamped to units that were disbanded in the 1920s. 

I have three Lithgow bayonets that were in British service. All three have units stamped on them and all have either ‘18, ‘21 or ‘23 inspection stamps on them. 

I guess we can agree to disagree on this! My own gut feeling is that as I have never seen any official published evidence regarding regimental marking of bayonets issued post WW1, I tend to think that the marking is more likely to be war-time. BUT, I could be wrong. Certainly, it seems inherently unlikely that a field-service weapon would be regimentally- marked as late as 1918, but the 2/7th (Fife) Battalion never left the UK before being disbanded in April 1918 - quite by coinicidence(?) the month/year the bayonet was officially approved for issue - '04 '18!

Trajan

I think you may indeed be correct! I thought that unit had disbanded post war. 

For British units going overseas for service, the items were not to be marked. This was the same for Australian units from 1915 onwards. So that would explain why it is marked to the 2/7th then.

Edited by Mattr82

Certainly a post WW1 marking to my mind, as that era it would have been R.H for Royal highlanders….these markings changed significantly in the interwar years, and in the 1932 source in the thread below kindly supplied by Tony (pdf to download), they are now B.W….

Dave.

Thanks members for the interest and information you have put forward on the regimental markings.

Dave, I have read through the "Regimental markings on 1907 bayonet" post and saved a copy of the 23 page pfd. file for future references. Plenty of reading there, so thanks for pointing us in that direction. 

I have not taken a lot of notice on regimental markings before this other than helping in the search of the R.A.F. marked bayonets, so there is always plenty to learn.

After reading the post, I do note that the regimental markings on my bayonet has the full stops, and I believe that the 273 is the rack/rifle number for this bayonet.

SS, 

I did not take much notice of the Remington scabbard at the time of buying, other than seeing that it was a nice tidy RE marked early scabbard of the right time frame for the bayonet. Now that I have looked over it, I believe that it is a No1 Mk2 Scabbard, no rivets showing. 

A better photo of the markings (below) near confirm what I thought they were originally.

Cheers,

TR

S7.jpg

Edited by t.ryan
Add extra info.

11 hours ago, t.ryan said:

I have not taken a lot of notice on regimental markings before this other than helping in the search of the R.A.F. marked bayonets, so there is always plenty to learn.

It’s a completely fascinating collecting field in itself, of the 10 unit marked 07’s I have, 7 are (all ww1 dated) post ww1 marked…a few I’m certain having seen interesting WW2 service.

Dave.

This is probably one of the easiest Regimental ID's that I have encountered in some time. So I am glad that Dave happened along to set matters straight. I was wondering how long it would take.!

Yes there are plenty of clues here for those "in the know". First and foremost the reason that Mr Ryan could not find this abbreviation in the Broad Arrow was that it simply didn't exist in the time-frame studied by Skennerton. As Dave pointed out the Black Watch in the GW period and earlier was officially known as the Royal Highlanders being stamped as RH.

And so the inter-war changeover to the BW abbreviation provides a "Terminus post quem" here as to the date this Regimental marking was applied. Likewise the 1926 reissue marking is another leading indicator of post-war service. But surely my earlier comment regarding the "later period" unit designation has to be the strongest clue.??

Cheers,  SS

• 4 weeks later...
On 08/01/2024 at 03:24, shippingsteel said:

And so the inter-war changeover to the BW abbreviation provides a "Terminus post quem" here as to the date this Regimental marking was applied. Likewise the 1926 reissue marking is another leading indicator of post-war service. But surely my earlier comment regarding the "later period" unit designation has to be the strongest clue.??

Cheers,  SS

Likewise my comment above about the 7th merging with the 6th in 1921...:whistle: