Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Spread Sheet format cemetery list for La Laiterie Military Cemetery, Belgium

andrew pugh

Hi 

Does anybody have a spread sheet version of La Laiterie Military Cemetery, Belgium. The ones that list all the known and unknown casualties.

Kind Regards

Andy

Seemingly not but if i find time over the weekend i will try to get one done for you. What do you want to know about the unknowns? Which Regiment if known? 

Hi Temptage

Thank you for replying to me. I am trying to find out how many casualties known and unknown there are buried in the cemetery belonging to the 1st Battalion Wiltshire Regiment, They would have been killed on the 12th March 1915 during the fighting at Spanbroekmolen. If you would like copies in the spreadsheet format for Delsaux Farm, Bancourt, Grevillers and Lebucquiere cemeteries please let me know. But I will have to send them to your home email address. Once again thank you. My email address is sueand19@outlook.com 

Kind Regards

Andy

Its not very often they mention specific Regiments but IF there is a date of death for an unknown, which again is rare, then ill add it. A quick look has the majority of unknowns brought in from the battlefield and not too many have any extra details

You should be able to do a CWGC search for that cemetery and download all results from CWGC as a .csv file which opens as a spreadsheet.

Then save as a Excel file if that's your choice.

I sometimes find the row heights go a bit wrong when re-formatting the sheet.

I found it's because text-wrapping needs resetting.

TEW

On 12/01/2024 at 10:57, TEW said:

You should be able to do a CWGC search for that cemetery and download all results from CWGC as a .csv file which opens as a spreadsheet.

Then save as a Excel file if that's your choice.

I sometimes find the row heights go a bit wrong when re-formatting the sheet.

I found it's because text-wrapping needs resetting.

TEW

Yes but that will only list the known casualties. There are about 180 unknowns in the Cemetery too. 

I had already done as you suggested anyway and had started to add all the plot numbers of the unknowns when i realised about halfway through that when i organised all the known plots into order, it didnt reorganise some of the other columns so when i started to look on the archived papers, names and plots didnt match, so deleted the 2 hours work i had done, and will have another go soon. 

Apologies, must have missed the 'unknowns' part of your post.

As to your sorting column problem. The only reason that springs to mind as a cause of leaving some columns unsorted is that the title/header row must have had a blank column header.

That would cause a break in the sheet and anything to the right of the blank header/title would not get sorted.

TEW

Hi tempage

I know for sure that there are some named casualties belonging to the 1st Battalion Wiltshire Regiment who were killed on the 13th March1915 buried in the cemetery but I would like to know how many casualties there are possibly with a headstone marked as unknown soldier Wiltshire Regiment. I am trying to have a count up of casualties from that battalion.

Because there are some named men in the cemetery it's reasonable to assume that there may be some unknown casualties from the Wiltshire Regiment buried in there too.

Kind Regards

Andy

Right, I have finished it. All 751 graves of known and unknown soldiers.

As it turns out, the only Wiltshire's buried in the whole Cemetery are all buried in section 1 on rows A and B. If I'd have known that, it would have made it a lot quicker to do.

There are no Wilts who are registered as being killed on the 13th, but there are 13 men killed on the 12th.

The majority of the other Wiltshire's died in Dec 14/ Jan 15 and are buried in Plot 1, Row A.

There are no other Wiltshire's in the Cemetery, and although there are no Unknown Soldiers of the Wiltshire's, there are 3 Unknown British Soldiers in 1A and 1B.

So after 5 hours + I basically found absolutely nothing!!!

If you want to see the spreadsheet, I can email it to you. Send me a message on here with your email address

Tony

Tony,

This is something Andy is doing for me as  favur because that is the sort of nice chap he is. I'll PM you with my email address - I would be really grateful for a copy of the excel sheet.

Thanks so much for your help - we both really appreciate it.

Simon