Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Would appreciate some help identifying this uniform

SEANER

I found this picture along with some old German war bonds which took me down a bit of a rabbit hole. With a bit of research I believe this to be a Calvary uniform although the black stripe over the buttons and along the pants (while looking very dignified) I wasn’t able to find any matches online. I first thought it was a German uniform but also per-sued it as an Italian uniform. Also the era of this uniform type eludes me. There are certainly some very interesting things about this group. The Chevrons on the sleeves and the total lack of Facial Hair were 2 that intrigued me. 

IMG_3834.jpeg

Edited by SEANER

Definitely a U.S. uniform in a form of cadet “gray” for the West Point Military Academy** around the period straddling WW1.  It was the undress working day uniform, as opposed to the more famous full dress with frogged coatee and shakos.  Several are wearing sharpshooter type prizes (small crosses) on their breasts.  I think they’re probably permanent staff instructors.

**similar uniforms are worn in other military academies such as Pennsylvania and Virginia.

IMG_1591.png

IMG_1592.jpeg

IMG_1598.jpeg

IMG_1599.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Wow Thank you. That is great to have all this information. It was the small crosses that had me looking into German uniforms. I had mistakingly thought it was an iron cross. 
once again Thank you!! 

16 minutes ago, SEANER said:

Wow Thank you. That is great to have all this information. It was the small crosses that had me looking into German uniforms. I had mistakingly thought it was an iron cross. 
once again Thank you!! 

The marksmanship badges began to be introduced just in the period of WW1 as a means to encourage competition in sharpshooting among soldiers.

The wearing of the Sam Browne style belt and cross brace is significant, as it wasn’t previously a feature of US military dress, but became popular during WW1 due to serving alongside officers from Britain and their Empire and was adopted as regulation in 1921.  It eventually lost favour in the US between the world wars (1930s), although there was a later resurgence by some American officers who continued to favour it, and the visual status that it conveyed.

IMG_1614.jpeg

IMG_1615.jpeg

IMG_1613.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE