Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Would like to know more about this artillery shell casing if anyone has any information at all that would be great!

Hope18

This is a guess: 10,5cm x 92mm Leichte Feldhaubitze (light field howitzer) cartridge case, made by Gelsenkirchner Gussstahlwerke in the month shown.

I have a similar one made by Polte of Magdeburg in JAN 16 - it sits on my workbench, full of needle-files :).

Edited by MikB

Unless you have a very small hand, it looks to be bigger than a 10.5 cm German howitzer cartridge case, in which case, it is probably a cartridge case for a 15 cm sFH 02 or heavy (schwere) field howitzer introduced into service in 1902. As with most howitzers, the sFH 02 cartridge case took 6 different charge sizes to give different muzzle velocities and ranges.

3 hours ago, Spaceman said:

Unless you have a very small hand, it looks to be bigger than a 10.5 cm German howitzer cartridge case, in which case...

I was thinking of the effect of foreshortening... :D

Can you give a diameter across the casemouth? Imperial or metric.

Edited by MikB

On reflection, I think the picture showing a hand is a little misleading regarding sizing. I estimate the flask shown in the other picture is probably about 9 cm in diameter making the cartridge case 10.5 cm, probably?