Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Interesting piece of equipment

GRANVILLE

Going through some copies of 'I was there' I came across this image on the cover of Part 15. According to the captions, it shows Northumberland Fusiliers after action on March 27, 1916. I wondered about the device lying across the legs of one of the men. I think this was a device for signalling, but am not entirely sure and thought it would be interesting to ask about it. The centre-fold image is of the same men and I suspect the same device can be seen in the background of this image. It would be interesting to get confirmation on what it is and how it worked - or maybe didn't!

Just for info, earlier this year, I gave in to the need for a magnifying glass to read small print, and got myself one as shown. It has LED lighting which is a big help. I find that when it is used to scan over photos such as those which appear in 'I was there', it not only brings out lots of detail in the images, but gives them an almost 3D effect, so can highly recommend this sort of thing.

David   

002 - Copy.JPG

003 - Copy.JPG

006 - Copy.JPG

Edited by GRANVILLE

It looks like a signalling shutter, similar to this one from the IWM collections - they describe it as a “visual morse communications” device. This pattern is clearly for use with a rifle and bayonet.
There was an excellent example of this pattern recently listed for sale on eBay, iro £1.2k I recall. 

Pete

IWM COM 1141

edit : in fact it’s still listed for sale, item 255853355846 - some good photos - I have no affiliation with this listing 

IMG_6632.jpeg

IMG_6633.jpeg

Edited by Pete_C

This is pretty much what I thought it might be, only difference being, I imagined the one in the photo I have posted consisted of rise and fall shutters, which either opened to show daylight or possibly a coloured panel similar to the device mentioned on eBay. In the heat of battle, with smoke and rain coming down, I suspect you would be hard pressed to see it, let alone read a message from it?

David 

Signalling shutters were in use since at least the mid c.19, primarily for communication between ships and shore. They are illustrated in the early editions of the signalling manual from 1876 onwards. They appear as the timber shutter in a small number of photos. During the war Colonel F R Cobb MC RE developed the canvas version that could be carried rolled up then unfolded and clipped on a bayonet for use. These were called "Cobber Flaps" and were manufactured in large numbers at a British Military factory along the channel coast in France. Despite many thousands being manufactured, the rate of survival is low. As well as the IWM example, the R Corps of Signals Museum at Blandford Forum has two on display. There are also examples known in private collections. The example on eBay has been on sale for at least 3 years, frankly I consider the price much too high. 

image.png.a84ba848a3a7b8315301af9dee508a39.png

I've just noticed that the cover photograph (Part 15, 'I Was There'), is reproduced again in the magazine and the caption with this photograph confirms what was thought, that the man is in possession of quote: "a slot signalling apparatus".

David