Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bayonet or Sword

Kaj

Hi there alll you lovely people  

in an old farm in the attic in an old chest worn an "raped" i found this bayonet or sword. Can i possbly get some help to lern a little about it from you  ?

Best greetings from Kaj in Denmark

IMG_20240101_152633.jpg

IMG_20240101_152640.jpg

IMG_20240101_152646.jpg

IMG_20240101_152708.jpg

IMG_20240101_152748.jpg

IMG_20240101_152833.jpg

IMG_20240101_152850.jpg

Kaj,

No apparent way that this could be attached to a rifle, so has to be a sword.

Unfortunately, that is the extent of my knowledge.

Some dimensions (length overall/ length of blade/ width of blade at cross-guard ) would help the experts.

Regards,

JMB

Same opinion, it could be a Boardcutlass and from area of Scandinavia, even possible Denmark, You should look at that area, the unit is old could be early 19 century, even i dont known what is there 54 Batallion?? even not stamped there, 3.Company and weapon nr.49, i assume there is a lion head carved on pommel? Unfortunally the cleaning of blade was done too agressive with rotating stone there could be some remains of marking near crossguard?

Edited by AndyBsk

It looks lke it is a Dansh 1791/1800 Hirschfanger, missing its guard-piece section. See e.g., https://www.ima-usa.com/products/danish-1791-1800-hirschfanger-sword-bayonet-extremely-rare?variant=26168744581

Trajan

@trajan Hi Julian 

I hope your done with the headache of grading.

I will soon be traveling to Istanbul and Ankara, and would like to meet you in person in mid-January if you are to be around, to learn more about bayonets from you. 

10 hours ago, M1890 ottoman said:

@trajan Hi Julian 

I hope your done with the headache of grading.

I will soon be traveling to Istanbul and Ankara, and would like to meet you in person in mid-January if you are to be around, to learn more about bayonets from you. 

Happy with the ID?

Gading almost finished so back to GWF! Welcome to Turkey when you arrive but unfortunately I'll be in the UK 09-24 Jan...

Julian

On 03/01/2024 at 09:39, trajan said:

Happy with the ID?

Gading almost finished so back to GWF! Welcome to Turkey when you arrive but unfortunately I'll be in the UK 09-24 Jan...

Julian

Indeed I am.

Have a safe trip. I'm returning from Turkey on the 29th, until then I will mostly be in Istanbul but may also go to Ankara, Will you happen to stay sometime in Istanbul upon your return?  

Ahmet 

Edited by M1890 ottoman

On 04/01/2024 at 21:26, M1890 ottoman said:

Indeed I am.

Have a safe trip. I'm returning from Turkey on the 29th, until then I will mostly be in Istanbul but may also go to Ankara, Will you happen to stay sometime in Istanbul upon your return?  

Ahmet 

Unfortunately not - straight back into teaching!

Julian

I will be spending more time in Turkey in the summer. Hope to see you then. Enjoy your trip.We'll keep in touch.:poppy:

Ahmet