Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British Chillington 1915 stamped wire cutters

Lemons

I purchased these wire cutters from some kind of local finds shop (I can't remember what it was called or anything) near the Somme. After doing some research I noticed several mentions of wire cutters stamped Chillington 1917 but none stamped 1915. I would appreciate any information on these wire cutters, as I have been unable to find much. I am also looking to sell them at some point so any estimates on valuation would be appreciated.

20231231_182035.jpg

20231231_182553.jpg

They are Cutters, wire, folding. (Mark I.). The List of Changes entry 20646 (below) has a 1st December 2016 acceptance date - extract from THE KARKEE WEB, the best online source for information on British and Empire Equipment and Accoutrements. 
Most surviving examples that turn up are indeed dated 1917 and it is unusual to find a 1915 date, but nothing should be read into the fact that they predate the LoC 1916 acceptance date - quite often the LoC entry would post date an item’s issue.

In terms of value, a quick look down recent eBay sold examples shows they tend to fetch between £25 and £35 depending on condition - they’re not uncommon. I imagine most collectors just want a decent Great War dated example whereas a dedicated wire cutters collector - and there will be some - might pay a premium for a 1915 example but that’s likely to be offset by their semi-relic condition. The web frogs are more valuable, usually around £100 for an average condition Great War example - all surviving examples appear to be 1917 dated and made by The Mills Equipment Co Ltd.

Pete

IMG_6629.jpeg

IMG_6630.jpeg

Edited by Pete_C