Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BWM & VM marked BLRMKR WFA

Allan1892

Where would I find the MIC or Medal Rolls for a Albert Edward Taylor (a Boiler Maker in civilian life) -- medals marked on edge BLR  MKR  WFA -- any help appreciated.

Many thanks for your reply, unfortunately the link that you gave me isn't the man that I am looking at. 

19 hours ago, Allan1892 said:

Where would I find the MIC or Medal Rolls for a Albert Edward Taylor (a Boiler Maker in civilian life) -- medals marked on edge BLR  MKR  WFA -- any help appreciated.

Is it WFA or MFA? (as in Marine Fleet Auxiliary)

.......and if so possibly ........

Research guide C9: The Merchant Navy: First World War | Royal Museums Greenwich (rmg.co.uk)

It's curious that we have a BWM and BVM.  You would expect a deployed civilian (BLR MKR) to have BWM and MercMar Medal combo as civilians were not entitled to BVM under "normal" circumstances? Civilian Boiler Makers in the RE (i.e. Inland Waterways/Railways) appear to have service numbers but the navy example below does not - in line with your man. (n.b. this is a Badge award not medals in line with khb's earlier observation on record destruction.)

JM Vassall.png

Edited by TullochArd
link added

@TullochArd -- thank you for your comments. I am trying to assist an elderly gentleman and I have asked him if he can give me images of both medals. He insists that the edges do not show any service number and that it is WFA -- I will ask him to have a better look in case it is MFA -- I'll ask for images of the edges as well.

4 hours ago, Allan1892 said:

I will ask him to have a better look in case it is MFA -- I'll ask for images of the edges as well.

...... sounds like a plan Allan1892.  Based on what we have so far my money's on "MFA" and BWM/MercMar Medal........maybe a civilian sea-going Fleet Repair Ship artisan? 

Edited by TullochArd

This is probably your man - Mercantile Marine Reserve (MMR) medal roll:-

"TAYLOR, Albert E.       Blrmkr      "VICTORIAN" [HMS]       1914-15 Star, Victory and British War Medals claimed by and issued to his Widow.      Index Casualty (I.C.)2755/1923" [indicates death probably in that year].  [From ADM 171-132 MMR RATINGS MEDAL ROLL Meb to War at TNA.]

VICTORIAN, armed merchant cruiser, mercantile conversion, Her log   -   https://www.naval-history.net/OWShips-WW1-08-HMS_Victorian.htm

See also   -   http://www.dreadnoughtproject.org/tfs/index.php/H.M.S._Victorian_(1904)

Edited by horatio2

7 minutes ago, horatio2 said:

his is probably your man - Mercantile Marine Reserve (MMR) medal roll:-

I was wondering when the Senior Service would come on board........fantastic result horatio2.  14/15 Star as well. I now see "Campaign or war medals were awarded to members of the armed services and eligible civilians"  An education - TVM.  

16 hours ago, horatio2 said:

This is probably your man - Mercantile Marine Reserve (MMR) medal roll:-

"TAYLOR, Albert E.       Blrmkr      "VICTORIAN" [HMS]       1914-15 Star, Victory and British War Medals claimed by and issued to his Widow.      Index Casualty (I.C.)2755/1923" [indicates death probably in that year].  [From ADM 171-132 MMR RATINGS MEDAL ROLL Meb to War at TNA.]

VICTORIAN, armed merchant cruiser, mercantile conversion, Her log   -   https://www.naval-history.net/OWShips-WW1-08-HMS_Victorian.htm

See also   -   http://www.dreadnoughtproject.org/tfs/index.php/H.M.S._Victorian_(1904)

Many, many thanks:thumbsup: -- this look like the man in question