Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ICRC records PA or R listed

chaz

looking through my collection for more soldier details I've come across a soldier that seems to have been a PoW.

He is on the returning R list back to Hull on the SS Archangel on 22/11/1918. But there is no PA  record for him.

I've checked the same R list for other soldiers from his regimental battalion and seems like they were captured at Spoilbank on 26/4/1918.

my question being why is there no PA record for some of the regiment men, there are 9 of them, 4 R list, 4 PA list at Spoilbank and 1 at St Eloi. ?

another question, if a soldier has a PA record shouldn't there be a R record as well?

frustrating as there was no record of him on Ancestry being a PoW, so I am assuming , as I've checked the dates from the other regimental men records against the battalion war diary, I have to assume , my soldier was captured around the Spoilbank area, BUT, I'm in the dark where he would have been held, unless he was with the others. This means another ICRC check for the PA lists for a likely camp.

I‘ve come across many with the same lack of PA or R numbers. I think the simple answer is that the records are known to be incomplete and that the ICRC was dependant on the information sent to them.

Charlie

oh, ok.

seems strange, some have both , others have one or the other.

just going to have to use the assumption that the others in the same regiment provide, a camp and capture area.

Check the spelling, sometimes it may not be right. U can also do a search on fmp for related docs, as there cross references are normally very good

3 hours ago, chaz said:

13th Gloucestershire A A Perkins, had 3 numbers but under his Glos number 38711 

ICRC attachment 

C_G1_E_01_03_0012_0107.JPG

That list is one produced in England and sent to ICRC. 

I have found that after a while the ICRC have the sheets but stopped entering them onto the cards.

The lack of PA records suggests that ICRC received nothing from the Germans. Sadly this is not uncommon, particularly as 1918 progressed.

Charlie(962)

17 hours ago, chaz said:

13th Gloucestershire A A Perkins, had 3 numbers but under his Glos number 38711

His card is there under Perkin:

image.jpeg.d7dfbc967c9829e770d0e250acb1eb3c.jpeg

thanks, one of those weekends...

I put Perkins in the search then got sidetracked as there is a mention somewhere of him being Parkins with same regiment and number. didnt think to put Perkin in.