Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Service help with these officers please

thedawnpatrol

Any help with further information about these 3 officers would be vry much appreciated, thank you.

94469BCB-1005-4E36-8B1F-0F6D8D49BA85.jpeg

DB03C765-D896-4650-B409-995888FCF0F6.jpeg

3D5B1050-1B47-4E46-B5A4-7455C3081AE4.jpeg

The only G M Underwood I have been able to identify is 2nd Lieut George Milne Underwood, born 17 March 1897 and posted to No 16 Squadron on 15 December 1916.  He was killed in action on 6 March 1917 when he and his pilot, 2nd Lieut Albert Edward Watts, were shot down near Givenchy in B.E.2d 5856, probably the first victory credited to Ltn Kurt Wolff of Jasta 11.  I have no record of an ‘Underwood’ in No 48 Squadron.

T G Brooke is Thomas Goodair Brooke, born 4 June 1899 and posted to No 46 Squadron on 11 September 1918.  Wounded in action on 4 November and invalided back to England four days later.  Resigned his commission on account of ill health on 15 January 1920.

J G Edenborough is John Geoffrey Edenborough, born on 1 May 1898 and posted to No 54 Squadron on 2 February 1918.  Posted to Home Establishment on 23 April he was posted to the Reserve Depot on 11 May ‘pending decision of his case’.  To No 2 Officers Training School, Bedford on 15 June (returned to South Lancs Regt).

Graeme

Thank you Graham thats a great start, you are probably right about Underwood, those items were grouped together with a scrap of paper written by Tony Mellor Ellis years ago so he may have had it wrong then. Why there is a lovely pair of pilots wings with it then is a mystery? But you never know what people do to enhance a sale!

i’ll change my display and re attribute it to George Milne Underwood, Observer.

thank you

julian.

Graeme, I found this picture on line of George Milne Underwood, and compared it to the photo i have, which i took out of the locket to see if there was anything  written on the back….

so, is this the same man, I think so……

4EE46AF2-CEE5-4B26-B6BC-97C8392FFA59.png

F6112AE0-70A5-45AA-B82A-E91F46FCF6BE.png

Julian

Having dug a bit deeper, it seems that there were two G M Underwoods in the RFC/RAF.  The first was the George Milne Underwood I mentioned and the second a Lieutenant who appears in the April 1918 Air Force List but for whom I have not unearthed any further details; it would appear that the file AIR-76-518-188 contains details of both officers.  An additional titbit - George Milne Underwood was appointed a Temporary 2nd Lieutenant upon being attached to the RFC from No 9 Officer Cadet Battalion on 7 July 1916 and on 21 August was posted from Reading (ie, No 1 School of Military Aeronautics) to No 35 Squadron and upon being appointed a flying officer on 5 December went to No 59 Squadron but was there for only 10 days before his final posting to No 16 Squadron.

Graeme

15 hours ago, topgun1918 said:

The only G M Underwood I have been able to identify is 2nd Lieut George Milne Underwood, born 17 March 1897

The birth of a George Milne Underwood occurred at Shandong, China on the 17th March 1897 and was registered at the British Consulate at Kewkiang, China. Parents were George Richardson Underwood and Joanna Marianna Leslie Underwood, nee Milne. It's recorded by the UK General Registrars Office under civilian overseas births rather than armed forces related. https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X1NJ-HR9

No obvious sign of him in the Census records - I was looking to see if he attended a boarding school which in turn might have an archive \ great war roll of honour that might be a source was an alternative image to confirm identification.

T G Brooke is Thomas Goodair Brooke, born 4 June 1899

The birth of a Thomas Goodair Brooke, mothers' maiden name Goodair, was registered with the civil authorities in the Ecclesall Bierlow District, (Yorkshire), in the July to September quarter, (Q3), of 1899. Then, as now, you had 42 days after the event to register the birth, and the General Registrars Office then reported by quarter registered, which isn't automatically the same as quarter born. On the 1911 Census of England & Wales there is an 11 year old Thomas Goodair Brooke, born Sheffield, Yorkshire, who was recorded living at 5 Glyn Avenue, Doncaster. This was the household of his widowed mother Lilly Brooke. Father on the 1901 Census of England & Wales, when the family was living at Ulverston, Yorkshire, was a Thomas W. Brooke, an employed Chemist & Druggist.

No obvious sign of Thomas on the 1921 Census of England & Wales.

J G Edenborough is John Geoffrey Edenborough, born on 1 May 1898

The birth of a John Geoffrey Edenborough, mothers' maiden name Walthew, was registered with the civil authorities in the Lambeth District in the April to June quarter, (Q2), of 1898. On the 1911 Census of England & Wales the 12 year old John Geoffrey Edenborough, born West Norwood, London, was recorded as boarding student in a small school at 25 Tooting Bec Gardens, Streatham. There are only 7 other pupils, so unlikely to be any surviving records. In the 1901 Census of England & Wales it looks like his parents are Maudsley and Louisa.  The marriage of a "Maudslay Edenborough to a Laura Inez Walthew was recorded in the Hackney District in Q1 1895.

The death of a John Geoffrey Edenborough, born 1st May 1898, was recorded in the Worthing District in Q2 1982. The 1982 Probate Calendar records that John Geoffrey Edenborough, of Willow Cottage, Herne Lane, Rustington, West Sussex, died on the 6th June 1982.

Cheers,
Peter

In the presentation of G M Underwood's badges etc the third medal is the Special Constabulary Long Service Medal (prev Special Constabulary Medal) instituted in 1919 which was awarded for service in the specials in WW1, but three years service was required. As Underwood was in an Officer Cadet unit in July 1916 could the medal have been added later & maybe the set is not those awarded to Underwood ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_Constabulary_Long_Service_Medal

Travers

On 31/12/2023 at 12:38, thedawnpatrol said:

Graeme, I found this picture on line of George Milne Underwood, and compared it to the photo i have, which i took out of the locket to see if there was anything  written on the back….

so, is this the same man, I think so……

4EE46AF2-CEE5-4B26-B6BC-97C8392FFA59.png

F6112AE0-70A5-45AA-B82A-E91F46FCF6BE.png

These are different men I think.  There are substantial differences in aspects of their facial features with in particular one man having a longer face (jawline than the other).  Presumably the two Underwoods perhaps.

Can anyone find me a link to a casualty report for Thomas Brooke ? 
thank you

This seems to be the relevant casualty form.

https://www.casualtyforms.org/form/1611

There are also two casualty cards related to his wounding, although one of them has recorded his middle name as Gosdew.

https://www.rafmuseumstoryvault.org.uk/archive/brooke-t.g

https://www.rafmuseumstoryvault.org.uk/archive/brooke-t.g.-thomas-gosdew

Thank you Tawhiri

i could not open the first link, but the other two RAF Museum links worked fine. its a shame that the images have RAF Museum written across them ! i wanted to print them off as part of my display..............

1 hour ago, thedawnpatrol said:

i could not open the first link

Same problem here, something to do with http iso https. I can see the image but not download it.

1 hour ago, thedawnpatrol said:

its a shame that the images have RAF Museum written across them

Will send you a PM.

Luc.