Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New Podcasts: Gary Sheffield, Spencer Jones and Dan Hill - highly recommended!

WilliamRev

[I have not seen reference to these two new series of podcasts on the forum, but I apologise if I am repeating old news. But in any case they are so good the news bears repeating.]

I have been enjoying two new series of podcasts in the past few weeks:

Firstly, MILITARY HISTORY PLUS with Prof Gary Sheffield and Dr Spencer Jones. In these podcasts, which generally last just over an hour each, the two colleagues from Wolverhampton University chat about various military history topics, mostly First World War related, but several have involved the American Civil War. I have found the ones that examine the historiography of the First World War particularly interesting. The most recent two podcasts are chats about battlefield touring.

Secondly, NOT SO QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT! with Dan Hill and Dr Spencer Jones (again). Perhaps aimed at an audience who lack an in depth knowledge of the First World War, in fact there is plenty of new fascinating stuff here for everyone including PhD students like me. Generally the podcasts are around an hour and fifteen minutes, and each deals with a single battle or campaign. Of particular interest is their recent Christmas special which explores the 1914 Christmas Truce.

I listen to them using the Pocket Podcasts app on my Samsung/Android phone, which picked up and subscribed to the two podcasts with no problem even for a technophobe like me.

William

• Admin
1 hour ago, WilliamRev said:

I listen to them using the Pocket Podcasts app on my Samsung/Android phone, which picked up and subscribed to the two podcasts with no problem even for a technophobe like me.

Thank you William

I agree the historiography series was essential listening (thought the Battlefield Touring two a bit self-indulgent and condescending)

I listen on Apple Podcasts, and they are also on Spotify (ad free so far)

Will look out for your second recommendation with Dr Spencer (mmmm,mmmm) Jones.  I liked his comments on Spion Kop and would like to hear him on the Anglo Boer War in the meantime my go to if I get fed up with the Great War is Des Latham's Anglo Boer War at twenty minutes I can get two episodes in in a dog walk!

52 minutes ago, RussT said:

Any Links?

Regards

Russ

Not so quiet etc

https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show/battle-guide-production/episodes/Podcast-Teaser-e2c0nk2

I was trying to avoid having to fight with links! Link for Not So Quiet on the Western Front is HERE

William