Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

And another one gone...

mebu

• Admin

Is that the one by the sunken lane opposite the tank memorial? 

• Admin

I will be at Flesquieres in early February, will have a look to see if there’s any evidence left. 

Michelle, when you visit (or anyone else visiting Flesquieres) here are a couple of pics of items which may/may not be of interest.

The observer in the concreted snailshell (can't remember the German name offhand) behind the chateau grounds wall by the A89 (would most likely, looking over the wall, have seen the unfolding of the tale of Unterofficer Kruger knocking out the tanks as they came over the ridge and across the field opposite. He would be the person who could clarify the story.  There is another one of these on the edge of Havrincourt Wood.

The other OP/blinkstelle on the other wall would have been sending reports back to higher command further eastwards. This has history to tell also. Over the door used to be a German regimental crest in the concrete, removed a long time ago but the laurels are still quite evident (I hope....)

Can't find my original colour pics.....if anyone does visit, would very much appreciate colour photo of either.

Peter

flesq2.jpg

flesq.jpg

• Admin

I’ve been to the one just behind the chateau walls by the road, not sure where my photos are of it. Will look out for the other one. Will try to get some photos! 

• 1 month later...
  • Admin

@mebuIs the hole in the ground the site of the bunker? It was too wet to get close to the wall MG post, so phone photos.

IMG_0213.jpeg

IMG_0218.jpeg

IMG_0217.jpeg

Hi

Just for the farmer to gain a few square feet for crops. The world is changing.

Regards

Andy

5 hours ago, andrew pugh said:

Hi

Just for the farmer to gain a few square feet for crops. The world is changing.

Regards

Andy

I guess it's small compensation for the loss because of the march of the damned wind turbines!

Michelle, difficult to tell from the landscape, but probably correct.  One of the many, there is (has been since the 1920s) a steady trend of removal of vestiges. Bear in mind that removal costs money, so it's not done lightly.

A shame, but what may be "a few square feet for crops" can be a real problem for a modern tractor or harvester. Some time ago I was talking to a farmer who has some Hindenburg Line bunkers  in his fields. He said he he happy to keep them for "l'histoire" however his son may not be.

Peter

• Admin

I’d walked down the track from the water tower towards the old railway line. Where the track becomes sunken, scramble up the bank, and that was where the hole was.