Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New to me 88-90

N White

This passed through a shop I worked at a few years back, and fate has seen fit to bring it back around and into my hands this time.

What I know and see:

OEWG made, Wn (Vienna) 89 barrel proof.  Updated with the bolt on sideplates for the sights.

The stock is duffel cut under the middle band.  The side of the butt is stamped LK3.

The gun has a ?cotton? web sling with a simple brass buckle made from a flat square of brass.  I assume some sort of Ersatz pattern?

The only flaw is the safety retaining screw has broken, and the safety is missing.  Happily I have sourced both parts, just have not yet extracted the broken piece.

20231227_093428.jpg

20231227_093528.jpg

20231227_093552.jpg

20231227_093508.jpg

That is a nice rifle, the origin configuration was M1888 as accepted prior 1890, then it was probably refurbished for new cartridge in later 90ies (sight should be covered by sideplates), what is interesting is the LK3 stamp,as this should be german inventory mark of WW2, some says it could be a Luftgau Kommando 3 depot, but i personally believe the explanation is different, it could be stored for using by Volkswehr, even the firearm is already total obsolete for 1944/5.

Edited by AndyBsk

The Mannlicher  88/90 was an upgraded version of their Model 88 rifle  The Model 88 used a compressed black power round of 8 mm x 52  with muzzle velocity of 1750 ft per second with a 244 gr bullet 

The Model 90 used an upgraded semi-smokeless propellent   The case dimensions were 8 mm x 50 with a muzzle velocity of 1950 ft per second  The chambers and sights had to be modified to accommodate the new round  

The 88 and 88/90 used a wedge locked breech which proved marginal when Austria-Hungary went to a full smokeless power round in 1893, the M93  which generated higher pressure and faster muzzle velocity

Yes that is well corected, the 8x50R M93 cartridge was fully compactible with this system, problem was by the later Spitz 8x56R 1930 ammo, anyway bulgarian refurbished even this.

You should look at buttplate for possible unit marking. The LK3 is already mentioned with other M88/90 on Kar98k forum.

Edited by AndyBsk