Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cuinchy 1916 - Boyan 11: Trench or Front reference?

Iamsmudge

Hi Guys, I wonder if anyone knows where or what 'Boyan 11' refers to in the Cuinchy area. I'm looking at movements/engagements for the 2nd Worcesters 24th June 1916. War diary states:

The Germans blew up a long shallow mine just in front of their own wire nearly opposite Boyan 11 at 5pm, During the night our Lewis Guns kept open any hostile gaps, and traversed the new crater. After the early morning straffe [sic] everything was very quiet.

I'm assuming its a trench or front reference, as I've also seen a reference to Boyan 4 in a general internet search.

The only other trench references I have for that deployment are:

• Battn HQ in No2 Siding in front of Wimpole Street
  • A reference to 'High Street'

Does anyone know of or have a map showing the Boyan reference?

https://maps.nls.uk/view/101464735

image.png.bcee21f8b3257abc215bcd91700b5cc0.png

• Admin

It should be Boyau, a communication trench. Image from Topography of Armageddon.

IMG_0938.jpeg

Great thank you very much. With the new spelling I've now found that the 'Boyau Trench' ran from Boyau 1 at Mad Point to Boyau 53 just south of Givenchy.

Much obliged.

In the September 1915 War Diary of 2 Div HQ GS there are detailed maps of the whole area . I have cropped one of them which shows the Water Boyau in G 3 b and the Left Boyau in G 4 a. Thanks to Michelle I now know what they are. I will have a further browse through my 1915 list.    TNA/Ancestry WO 95/1287.

Brian 

2 HQGS 1287.jpg

Edited by brianmorris547
typo

After some reading, it seems that Boyau was a french term/slang for a trench: 'Gut' or 'Intestines'

I'm probably the only one that didn't know this, just adding it here in case there's any other newcomers reading along.

I did not know it either. I had a look through my 1915 maps and the only Boyaus that I can see are those in G 3 and 4. See this map of CTs from the WD of 139 Infantry Brigade (TNA/Ancestry WO 95/2693). I had seen the Left, Centre and Right Boyaus before but not the Water Boyau. 

The WD of 100 Infantry Brigade (33 Div) for 08/06/1916 records that 2 Worcs relieved Units of 19 Infantry Brigade in the Auchy Right Sub Section and on 17/06/1916 the line the Brigade held was from Boyau 1 at G 4 a 8 8 to Boyau 36 and there is mention of 2 Worcs being at Boyau. So the 1915 Boyaus in G 4 are in general area.

I had a look through the WDs of 33 Div HQ and the other Infantry Brigades of 33 Div. There are some daily intell reports mentioning Boyaus but I have not found any maps or sketches.

There was a lot of mining activity and "blows" by both sides so I will check the RE WDs later.

Brian

139 IB 2692.jpg

Edited by brianmorris547

I checked the 33 Div RE War Diaries, no maps there but references to the Boyaux in the May 1916 papers of 11 Field Co e.g. Boyau 32 in Old Bond St building Trench Mortar positions, Boyau 21 and Park Lane work for the RFA and building a tunnel under the road between Boyaux 31 and 32.

The War Diary of the Commander Royal Artillery 33 Div had this Op Order which shows the frontage of 33 Div. TNA/Ancestry WO 95/2410. 

Brian

33 CRA 2410.jpg

There are numerous georeferenced maps and aerial photos of that area with a great deal of detail presented on TrenchMapper.

The quickest way is to look for Mad Point in Advanced Search.

You can also enter trench map references but they need dots as per the original scheme, e.g. 36c.A.28.c.95.17 for Mad Point. Note that sheet 44a is the same as sheet 36c. so 36c.A.28.c.95.17 is the same place as 44a.A.28.c.95.17

Howard

Craters.jpg

Thanks for the extra info.

I think Michelle's image pretty much settles it. See below. The red x is roughly where the mine was detonated placing 2nd Worcesters around that area. Two nights previously they mounted a raid against 'Mine Point' which is seen on this image, but not previously seen by me on other maps.

image.png.dabb916bfa793b62a3973248f94c0beb.png

As an addition: I think High Street is the 'Boyau' referenced here - Thanks to Brian for pointing towards 33 div using the term.

image.png.99423be1dfeba7960f97bef6591da156.png

Edited by Iamsmudge

1 hour ago, Iamsmudge said:

Thanks for the extra info.

I think Michelle's image pretty much settles it. See below. The red x is roughly where the mine was detonated placing 2nd Worcesters around that area. Two nights previously they mounted a raid against 'Mine Point' which is seen on this image, but not previously seen by me on other maps.

image.png.dabb916bfa793b62a3973248f94c0beb.png

That is the power of TrenchMapper. Look for Mine Point in Advanced Search and you go straight there. You also get about a dozen aerial photos showing the craters.

Howard

The WD of 33 Div HQ GS for 02/07/1916 records that 100 IB made a raid just north of where the Vermelles Triangle railway meets the German trenches A 28 c 2 8. A charge was set off at Mine Point A 27 b 7 6 in order to draw German Artillery away from the raid, then another small charge was set off at A 28 c 2 7. There is a report of the raid from the GOC 110 IB attached to the WD. Filed out of place (in the December 1916 WD) is the same report but in a different format and attached is a two page report from Captain Morshead of 212 Field Co RE (33 Div) who accompanied 2 Worcs on the raid. The second page has a sketch showing that No 8 Boyau and No 7 Boyau were indeed CTs. 

Attached is the RE report (which does not appear in the WD of 212 FC or the CRE 33 Div). TNA/Ancestry WO 95/2405.

I have not been able to find a sketch showing the Boyaux but the RE sketch compared with Michelle's map show No 8 and No 7 in the same area A 27 d (just north of where the Vermelles Triangle railway meets the German Trenches at A 28 c 2 8).

I have also found that of the Sappers named in the report only A Atkinson and G P Howard are named on my 1916 RE index (Times OCL 15/09 and 13/09). My next job is to update my index. 

Brian

212 FC 2405.jpg

212 FC 2.jpg

Thats a very nice addition, thank you.

The attack on the night of the 1st, was the last in this sector for 2nd Worcesters. They were relieved from their trenches on the 2nd and returned to billets. For the next few days they engaged in cleaning, working parties and inspections for a new btn commander. They then set off for the Somme (Mametz Wood ultimately)  on the 7th.

So nice to round this out with as much detail as I now have.