Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Need help identifying an Austro-Hungarian bayonet

Cheesar

Found this at an antique store in Cyprus. Store owner and some research I did tells me this is an Austro-Hungarian Mannlicher M1895 bayonet. As far as I can tell by the markings, it was made at the Budapest Arsenal (hence the FG-GY inscription on the blade). Pommel and scabbard are unmarked, which makes me think it was unissued, but any information from someone who knows better than me would be appreciated. 

IMG_0252.jpeg

IMG_0249.jpeg

IMG_0248.jpeg

IMG_0250.jpeg

Looks like typical M1895 for Mannlicher long rifle, unfortunally this is already a postwar bulgarian refurbish, as visible on large rivet heads on crossguard, the maker is FGGY Budapest, most real early war production piece, proofed with austrian imperial eagle, the scabbard was overhauled as missing the proof on hook and rivet on mouth was flashed to surface. So when there was some marking is removed. The pommel normally when not unit marked remained blank.

18 minutes ago, AndyBsk said:

Looks like typical M1895 for Mannlicher long rifle, unfortunally this is already a postwar bulgarian refurbish, as visible on large rivet heads on crossguard, the maker is FGGY Budapest, most real early war production piece, proofed with austrian imperial eagle, the scabbard was overhauled as missing the proof on hook and rivet on mouth was flashed to surface. So when there was some marking is removed. The pommel normally when not unit marked remained blank.

Thank you, this is very interesting information. :)