Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Looking for translation of death notification

Arkadiusz

Hi, we got documents connected to 1st world war. One is certification of death and 2nd most likely a story. Is it poss to help in decoding those and translation? Thank you 

IMG_4828.jpeg

IMG_4827.jpeg

IMG_4826.jpeg

The first one:

Im Felde d. 1.11.18
Herrn Joseph Osmanski
Geisslig-Grüschen, Kr. Strasburg (Not sure if I read that correctly, anyway could be in West Prussia????)

Am 1.11.18 ist Ihr Sohn Wladislaus infolge Herzlähmung (Pneumonia) im hiesigen Lazarett sanft eingeschlafen.

Trotz aller Aufopferung u. allen ärzlichen Bemühungen is es leider nicht gelungen denselben am Leben zu erhalten.

Geistlicher Zuspruch wurde Ihm während seines Krankenlagers zuteil. Besondere Wünsche hat der Verstorbene nicht hinterlassen.

Die Beerdigung fand am 1.11.18 nachmitt. 4 Uhr auf dem Ehrenfriedhof in Carignan in einem Einzelgrab statt.

Das Lazarett schickt Ihnen zu Ihren schweren Verluste sein aufrichtiges Beleid aus.

Heinrich

Hilfsinspektor

The second letter seems to be a condolence letter written by someone who cared for Wladislaus at the Lazarett but does not appear to be complete. It contains details of his death and final days.

Liebe Familie Osmansky

Meine letzten Zeilen haben Sie wohl erhalten wo ich Ihnen wieder etwas Hoffnung machte bei Ihrem lieben Sohn.

So dachte ich da gewiss, dass Ihr liebes Kind auserhalten bleibt, doch der lieber Gott hatte es anders beschlossen. Er nahm sein Kind heute Vormittag, an Ihrem grossen Tottage "Allerheiligen" zu sich in seine herzlich [?? the word is unclear] Heimat. Seien Sie meine liebe familie Osmansky meinen herzlichsten Teilnahme versichert.

Unser lieber himmlischer Vater gebe Ihnen viel Kraft diese schwere zu tragen.

Der gestrige Tag u. auch die letzte Nacht wo ich selbst bei IHrem liebe Kinde wachte, waren recht beschwerlich. Er war die letzte Nacht sehr sehr unruhig, aber heute gegen 5 Uhr früh wurde er ruhiger, u. lag dann ziemlich stille, ohne nochmal mit mir zu reden u. ist Gottlob auch sanft u. stille eingeschlafen. Vor einigen Tagen bat er mich um den Herrn Pfarrer, welcher Ihm da schon für die himmlische Heimat vorbereitete. Auch gestern Abend besuchte Herrn Pfarrer noch Ihr liebes Kind.

Als ich vor einigen Tagen mal zu Ihm sagte mein Lieber was soll ich Ihren lieben Eltern schreiben, da meinte er beruhigen Sie meine lieben Eltern, und Sie sollen sich nicht sorgen, dass ich Ihnen nicht selbst schreibe, wenn ich wieder besser [bin] schreibe ich wieder selbst.

Ihr liebes Kind hatte immer noch etwas Hoffnung wieder nach seiner lieben Heimat zu kommen. Ich hatte Ihr liebes Kind recht gerne, denn er war ein sehr beschiedener lieber [I don't understand this word]

Seien Sie aber getrost Ihr liebes Kind war bei uns gut versorgt.

Doch was unser lieber himmlischer Vater [letter ends here]

There are 2 hits for "Wladislaus Osmanski" in the Verlustlisten, although I don't know if he's your man.

Edited by knittinganddeath

Thank you very much! My father got a box of documents of our family letters, photos and documents. He is busy with genealogical tree. The letter was send when his great uncle died just a few days before war ended. It is also very surprising and rewarding to see people opening and helping to find a new branch of family tree as well as meet with kindness. 
thank you again! 

16 hours ago, knittinganddeath said:

The second letter seems to be a condolence letter written by someone who cared for Wladislaus at the Lazarett but does not appear to be complete. It contains details of his death and final days.

Liebe Familie Osmansky

Meine letzten Zeilen haben Sie wohl erhalten wo ich Ihnen wieder etwas Hoffnung machte bei Ihrem lieben Sohn.

So dachte ich da gewiss, dass Ihr liebes Kind auserhalten bleibt, doch der lieber Gott hatte es anders beschlossen. Er nahm sein Kind heute Vormittag, an Ihrem grossen Tottage "Allerheiligen" zu sich in seine himmliche Heimat. Seien Sie meine liebe familie Osmansky meinen herzlichsten Teilnahme versichert.

Unser lieber himmlischer Vater gebe Ihnen viel Kraft diese schwere zu tragen.

Der gestrige Tag u. auch die letzte Nacht wo ich selbst bei IHrem liebe Kinde wachte, waren recht beschwerlich. Er war die letzte Nacht sehr sehr unruhig, aber heute gegen 5 Uhr früh wurde er ruhiger, u. lag dann ziemlich stille, ohne nochmal mit mir zu reden u. ist Gottlob auch sanft u. stille eingeschlafen. Vor einigen Tagen bat er mich um den Herrn Pfarrer, welcher Ihm da schon für die himmlische Heimat vorbereitete. Auch gestern Abend besuchte Herrn Pfarrer noch Ihr liebes Kind.

Als ich vor einigen Tagen mal zu Ihm sagte mein Lieber was soll ich Ihren lieben Eltern schreiben, da meinte er beruhigen Sie meine lieben Eltern, und Sie sollen sich nicht sorgen, dass ich Ihnen nicht selbst schreibe, wenn ich wieder besser [bin] schreibe ich wieder selbst.

Ihr liebes Kind hatte immer noch etwas Hoffnung wieder nach seiner lieben Heimat zu kommen. Ich hatte Ihr liebes Kind recht gerne, denn er war ein sehr beschiedener lieber Junge

Seien Sie aber getrost Ihr liebes Kind war bei uns gut versorgt.

Doch was unser lieber himmlischer Vater [letter ends here]

There are 2 hits for "Wladislaus Osmanski" in the Verlustlisten, although I don't know if he's your man.

I've made two corrections (in bold). Wladislaus is not mentioned in the Verlustlisten.

2 minutes ago, AOK4 said:

've made two corrections (in bold). Wladislaus is not mentioned in the Verlustlisten.

Thanks for the corrections, I feel a bit stupid as they seem quite self-evident in retrospect :-)

I couldn't find an identified grave for Wladislaus, but he should have been buried in Carignan originally. However, as the war was very much near the end when he died, his grave may have remained unmarked (even though the Germans would have known very well where he was buried). The French took over the care for the German war graves in France according to the Versailles Treaty and the graves of Carignan were moved to Noyers-Pont-Maugis, where Wladislaus is probably buried in the mass grave, where some 5.000 bodies are buried.

Jan

5 hours ago, Arkadiusz said:

My father got a box of documents of our family letters, photos and documents.

I would be happy to translate more if you need (as long as I can manage to read them). Does your box by any chance contain a photo of Wladislaus? How old was he when he died?

17 hours ago, AOK4 said:

I couldn't find an identified grave for Wladislaus, but he should have been buried in Carignan originally. However, as the war was very much near the end when he died, his grave may have remained unmarked (even though the Germans would have known very well where he was buried). The French took over the care for the German war graves in France according to the Versailles Treaty and the graves of Carignan were moved to Noyers-Pont-Maugis, where Wladislaus is probably buried in the mass grave, where some 5.000 bodies are buried.

Jan

We tried to find where was the grave but it was not possible where. The explanation you provided gives explanation why. My father very happy to patch the story and it is actually quite fascinating to dig into history. Thank you for sharing!

18 hours ago, AOK4 said:

I've made two corrections (in bold). Wladislaus is not mentioned in the Verlustlisten.

Thank you for those corrections. We need to check other members of Osmansky family so maybe verlustlisten become handy

18 hours ago, knittinganddeath said:

Thanks for the corrections, I feel a bit stupid as they seem quite self-evident in retrospect :-)

Not for me ;-). We managed only 50% of letter from hospital. The personal letter was unreadable. Thank you for corrections 

14 hours ago, knittinganddeath said:

I would be happy to translate more if you need (as long as I can manage to read them). Does your box by any chance contain a photo of Wladislaus? How old was he when he died?

We have certificates of vaccination. There are no other handwritten documents in the box. And photo - it was actually hidden for a few generations.

IMG_4863.jpeg

According to his shoulder straps, he belonged at some point to the Minenwerfer-Kompagnie 39 (39. Infanterie-Division). Further research is necessary, as it isn't logical for him to end up in Carignan at the end of the war...

You may want to contact the Volksbund Deutsche Kriegsgräberfürsorge and ask them whether they have some more information.

4 minutes ago, AOK4 said:

According to his shoulder straps, he belonged at some point to the Minenwerfer-Kompagnie 39 (39. Infanterie-Division). Further research is necessary, as it isn't logical for him to end up in Carignan at the end of the war...

You may want to contact the Volksbund Deutsche Kriegsgräberfürsorge and ask them whether they have some more information.

Interesting. Thank you for additional information and name of places where extra information could be found. Here is family picture my father just shared. He is on the left with his mother (my grand grandma) and his brother. We were not sure what was his rank.

IMG_4864.jpeg

IMG_4865.jpeg

Hello,

I don't believe he was born in 1898. He should be older as he has a shooting lanyard (these were pre-war IIRC). He should be an Unteroffizier according to the family picture.

Jan

1 hour ago, AOK4 said:

Hello,

I don't believe he was born in 1898. He should be older as he has a shooting lanyard (these were pre-war IIRC). He should be an Unteroffizier according to the family picture.

Jan

We have figured out that what my grandma said about date of birth doesn’t make sense. Anyway only suspected year was mentioned. The plan is to check birth place and exact details in the church records. In the meantime we figured that his name was listed 2x. So more to look at and understand 

IMG_4870.png

Hello,

The 2x Wladislaus Osmanski are not necessarily the same person (there seem to be two different places of birth). And the same man can be mentioned multiple times in the Verlustlisten, like if he was wounded multiple times or when a previous mentioning had to be updated or corrected.

You really have to find out his place of birth and birthdate.

Jan