Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Company in 1914

Captain Chip

Hello again. As before with the British Company before, I would like to know about the organization of the German Company in 1914. See I have not been able to find information on this topic. And I do plan on trying to buy miniatures to represent the full strength of both companies in the future to help figure out how this all works. Anyways any help will be great.

The war establishment of an Infantry battalion in 1914 was 26 Officers and higher officials, 82 NCOs and junior officials, 920 ORs and 52 medical and supply soldiers. A Regiment had 3 battalions each of 4 companies.

From the 1906 drill manual updated to 1914 various company parade and march formations, I‘ll leave you to do the counting :)

Charlie

IMG_5188.jpeg

IMG_5187.jpeg

Ok just translated this and I am slightly confused. It doesn't say what ranks there are. I know there has to be a Captain. The Lieutenants, How many would be a 1st Lieutenant, and how many would be a 2nd Lieutenant? How many sergeants are there and what would be their function along with all the other NCOs? Sorry for these questions but the German ranks and organization have always gotten me confused. 

The war establishment of a battalion at the time of mobilisation, to avoid confusion the ranks are German.

1 OC Battalion - Major

4 Company Commanders - Hauptmann

18 Leutnants including an Adjutant and a Quartermaster - there is no specific number of Oberleutnants compared to Leutnants

4 (Etatmässige) Feldwebel 

4 Vize-Feldwebel

4 Fähnriche

69 Unteroffiziere (without Portepee) - in either the rank of Unteroffizier or Sergeant

96 Gefreite

824 Gemeine - Privates, including 16 Drummers and 8 Cyclists

4 Sanitäts-Unteroffiziere

16 Krankenträger - Stretcherbearers

Their responsibilities can be seen here - scroll down. https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deutsches_Heer_(Deutsches_Kaiserreich) The numbers under their command may be different to 1914.

Charlie