Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Looking for Admiralty Telegram no. 466 dated 11 April 1916

JohnH

I'm looking for Admiralty Telegram no. 466 dated 11 April 1916 which was sent to Vice Admiral Frederic Edward Errington Brock at Longhope, Orkney.  He mentions this telegram in his report dated 15 April 1916 regarding RNR Shetland Section which I obtained from ADM 137/2250.

Would I find this telegram at TNA ref ADM 137/228
Description: Home Waters Telegrams, 10-16 April 1916.

I’m guessing that this has something to do with the Admiralty’s instruction that members of the Shetland Section of the RNR (of military service age) must either volunteer for service off-island, or be discharged (and therefore become liable for conscription under the terms of the recently introduced Military Service Act).

Around about the same time-frame there was also criticism expressed by V.Adm. Brock that the Shetland Section of the RNR was bloated and overly large for the duties required of them, in consequence of which the unit got re-organised and was slimmed down to 638 men (including 381 who were over-age). An action which freed-up 501 men for alternative useage.

In addition to the TNA ref. you mentioned, you may well find a copy of the telegram in question in the correspondence between Brock/Philips/Admiralty 31 March - 3 July 1916 (ADM 137/2250 pp. 180-208). Unfortunately those records haven’t been scanned and are not available to download, so it would require a visit to Kew.

MB

15 minutes ago, KizmeRD said:

correspondence between Brock/Philips/Admiralty 31 March - 3 July 1916 (ADM 137/2250 pp. 180-208)

You are correct @KizmeRD, I'm looking at reorganisation of Shetland Section of the RNR. I have Pack No 33: Shetlands R.N.R. General correspondence, July 1915 – May 1917, pages 138 to 227 which contains the correspondence you mention. Though the above telegram is not on file. Para 2 of page 189 below is the section I'm interested in. 

IMG_7264.JPG

On 24/12/2023 at 18:35, KizmeRD said:

I’m guessing that this has something to do with the Admiralty’s instruction that members of the Shetland Section of the RNR (of military service age) must either volunteer for service off-island, or be discharged (and therefore become liable for conscription under the terms of the recently introduced Military Service Act).

@KizmeRD. It's interesting to see that the Admiralty advised Brock on 11 April 1916 that members of the Shetland Section of the RNR, who were recruited prior to 18 Nov 1915, and on terms of service which included the clause "no employment out of the islands" were not liable for general service. This information was not communicated to the OC of the Shetland Section until his men had stated their intention to volunteer out with the Island. [Source; para 2 above].