Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help needed with two cap badges/uniforms

Ralphed

Hello.

Can any one help to identify the two cap badges?

I think the man on the right is Royal Irish rifles but the shape of the seated mans badge has got me foxed.

Also, are both badges 'economy' issue? 

Any other observations are welcome.

Thanks for reading.

Regards 

Ralph.

410470639_1372240530063305_3324335562475401630_n.jpg

406906829_6999776023475438_1994000431957081192_n.jpg

385547820_772419248260398_8458477271966279689_n.jpg

26 minutes ago, CorporalPunishment said:

The standing man looks to be wearing spurs but the cap badge is unclear, Cavalry or Yeomanry most likely.      Pete.

We're fairly sure both men are Ulstemen. could he be North Irish horse ?

29 minutes ago, Ralphed said:

We're fairly sure both men are Ulstemen. could he be North Irish horse ?

Looking closely I would say the cap badge of the standing man is that of the Royal Irish Rifles, definitely not North Irish Horse. The RIR are said to have gone over to white metal cap badges in 1913 but how widespread that was is debatable.      Pete.

12 minutes ago, CorporalPunishment said:

Looking closely I would say the cap badge of the standing man is that of the Royal Irish Rifles, definitely not North Irish Horse. The RIR are said to have gone over to white metal cap badges in 1913 but how widespread that was is debatable.      Pete.

Thanks my 1st reaction was RIR.

Ralph

16 minutes ago, Ralphed said:

Thanks my 1st reaction was RIR.

Ralph

It was the spurs that threw me at first but yes, RIR he is.       Pete.

I agree with m’learned friends that one fellow is wearing the badge of the Royal Irish Rifles and the other the badge of the UVF.  Both Carson’s men methinks.

IMG_2366.jpeg

IMG_1399.jpeg

IMG_1398.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thanks for all the replies.

We now have a trawl trying to find out if they're related to the person who sent me the photo. 

We have a surname and now at least one regiment and we know from another photo the 'standing' man came home. 

We just don't know for certain who he is.

But we will.

Thanks again.

Ralph.

1 hour ago, Ralphed said:

Thanks for all the replies.

We now have a trawl trying to find out if they're related to the person who sent me the photo. 

We have a surname and now at least one regiment and we know from another photo the 'standing' man came home. 

We just don't know for certain who he is.

But we will.

Thanks again.

Ralph.

The Ulster Volunteer force (UVF) formed specific (war ‘service’) battalions that became part of the Ulster Division (subsequently numbered 36th).

The UVF eventually provided thirteen additional battalions for three existing regiments: the Royal Irish Fusiliers, the Royal Irish Rifles and the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers.**

The photo seems to show early recruits to the Ulster Division soon after they were issued army uniform but not yet received battalion insignia.  This early stage is also borne out by the obsolescent waist belt and ammunition bandolier, both of which date back to the 2nd Anglo/Boer War.

See:https://www.gutenberg.org/files/43969/43969-h/43969-h.htm

**The Young Citizen Volunteers (YCV), a separate organisation, but in 1914 formally aligned with the UVF, formed an additional battalion, the 14th, of the Royal Irish Rifles.

Edited by FROGSMILE