Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Operational/Tactical Level Book

RemiFX

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum. My general interest is in World War two tactical level operations. Most recently I took a more detailed note of the relations between word war 1 and 2 and especially the developments of it. I'm an officer in the Royal Netherlands Armed forces and most recently I had to study the four battles of Ypres and its effects on military developments.

Now I'm busy trying to find an academical level book which describes ww1 operations over the entire globe on a tactical and operational level. I'm looking for a book which has good detailed descriptions and loads of detailed maps and photography. During my study I worked with a book called 14-18 Oorlog in Belgie from Vos, Simoens, Warnier and Bostyn. This books is very nice to read and has a good level of detail and maps and photographs to support the story.

Is anyone of you able to help me find a similar book which covers combat actions in entire Europe, Africa and Asia?

Looking forward to your replies!

Cheers,

Remi

• Admin

Welcome to the GWF

As you may have found the academic study of tactics is often neglected.

The seminal work for the British Army is the late Paddy Griffiths ‘Battle Tactics of the Western Front The British Army’ Art of Attack 1916-1918’ pub. 1994 He was a lecturer at the RMA Sandhurst. 

No maps but diagrams and charts.  His appendices are always worth reading.

His methodology and influence in relation to the earlier Battle Tactics of the American Civil War was recently discussed in a recent episode of Military History Plus podcast hosted by two eminent WW 1 historians Gary Sheffield and Spencer Jones.

Like the GWF the podcast is Anglocentric though that does not mean exclusively and the development of tactics is often a response to those used by opposing armies.

Hello Ken,

Thank you for replying I will add it to my reading list at the library. I'm obviously open to other good books about world war one which cover my area of interest!

Regards,

Remi

Welcome to the Forum, Remi.

There are two volumes in a very important series of 'Zero Hour Z Day' by Jonathan Porter:

Link

Each volume deals with the lead up to and the execution of the British assault on the first day of the Battle of the Somme in 1916. Porter provides detailed perspectives on both sides, covering each of the weapons systems as well as planning, reconnaissance, intelligence, training, etc. The detail and illustrations are unparalleled.

Highly recommended.

Robert

Edited by Robert Dunlop

On 24/12/2023 at 06:09, Robert Dunlop said:

Welcome to the Forum, Remi.

There are two volumes in a very important series of 'Zero Hour Z Day' by Jonathan Porter:

Link

Each volume deals with the lead up to and the execution of the British assault on the first day of the Battle of the Somme in 1916. Porter provides detailed perspectives on both sides, covering each of the weapons systems as well as planning, reconnaissance, intelligence, training, etc. The detail and illustrations are unparalleled.

Highly recommended.

Robert

Hello Robert,

Thank you I will add them to my read list.

On 24/12/2023 at 09:39, kenf48 said:

You may also find this thread of interest not books but lectures and presentations from WFA on You Tube

Thank you Ken,

Currently I'm following an old ww1 youtube channel @TheGreatWar which is very interesting but still quite short and snappy and regarding maps still rather superficial (without trying to say anything bad about their enormous effort)

But I was hoping to find a book which kind of does what they did on youtube. Cover the entire story of the war with loads of detailed maps which really go in to the dept of maneuvers down to the divisional or brigade level rather than just some general arrows on a map. I hope this book somehow exists and you guys are able to help me find it.

Regards,

Remi