Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Regimental Marking on Japanese T30 Bayonet ? ? ?

ersatz

I have a special interest in bayonets with regimental markings, especially those of Imperial German origin.  However, I ran across the following marking on a Japanese T30 bayonet that has me wondering.  It is as follows:  YHTS with 97 beneath it.  

Can someone translate the unit marking?  

My guess would be,

Yeomanry

Hampshire (HANTS)

Weapon number 97.

Regards,

JMB

Thank you JMB for your contribution.  I've searched the internet and haven't found a match for the marking.  The best thing I've come up with is Yorkshire Hussars, but can't come up with anything for the TS.  

Can someone suggest a website that would list the various regiments that were issued the Japanese T30 & T38 rifles/carbines?  

Thank you!  

MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY NEW YEAR ! ! ! 

Ersatz,

I grew up in England and can assureyou that HANTS is the recognized abbreviation for Hampshire.

Furthermore, I have just looked up the "Instructions to Armourers"* issued by War Office for marking of weapons, and Y = Yeomanry; HTS = Hampshire

So in total, my initial response stands.

Merry Christmas!!!

Regards,

JMB

* I did post these about 4-5 years ago here on GWF, and member 4th Gordons kindly collated them into a single list; a search should find them.

Edited by JMB1943
Add info.

52 minutes ago, ersatz said:

Can someone suggest a website that would list the various regiments that were issued the Japanese T30 & T38 rifles/carbines?  

I do not know of a website but Tony Edwards book on the UK use of the Arisaka has reference to / photos of a number of units:

(see also recent thread on Royal Navy and Royal Marine use)

Units shown or mentioned Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry, Pembroke Depot(RN), Sussex Yeomanry, Worcestershire Regiment (2 Bn), RAF, Arab Forces with Lawrence (mentioned in 7 Pillars of Wisdom), Royal Welch Fusiliers, East Surrey Regiment, 17th County of London (Poplar and Stepney Rifles) London Reg. Royal Marines - I have photographs of a training unit (with button as cap badge) in addition.

Chris

Hi, JMB . . . . .  I wish to thank you for going the extra mile with searching & referencing the Instructions to Armourers.  I would never have known to go in that direction.  I am sold on your translation.  Many thanks for your help and much appreciated!

CHRIS . . . . .  Thank you too for providing me with some additional avenues to explore covering the British use of Arisaka rifles, etc.  I know I will enjoy looking into this part of history.  

Best regards, TED

You are very welcome!  Here are two pics I own:

Arisaka.jpg.b06f70fc280973e94313369ccdb50d2a.jpg

arisaka.jpg.4c1899c4375e81edf4c25e16223e46f8.jpg

Edited by 4thGordons

Ted,

Very happy to be able to help.

I have not yet collected the Arisaka bayonet, but seeing the find that you made (and post by 4thG listing other units) has now made me aware that there should be some more unit-marked examples out there.

Regards,

JMB

3 hours ago, JMB1943 said:

Furthermore, I have just looked up the "Instructions to Armourers"* issued by War Office for marking of weapons, and Y = Yeomanry; HTS = Hampshire

This is what I found in The Broad Arrow (MkI) as well.  

GREAT photos, and thanks for sharing !   

I did read that the British trained with the Japanese 6.5 rifle, but once they went into combat were issued the SMLE rifles because the 6.5 mm lacked the knock down power.  

22 hours ago, ersatz said:

GREAT photos, and thanks for sharing !   

I did read that the British trained with the Japanese 6.5 rifle, but once they went into combat were issued the SMLE rifles because the 6.5 mm lacked the knock down power.  

The Arisaka bullet may or may not have lacked stopping power, but the real reason is that the British Service rifle was (and had been since 1907) the SMLE rifle, in .303 inch, and there were many millions of 303 rounds available.

The Arisaka had only been brought in to equip the Royal Navy, (whose SMLE’s had been turned over to the Army which had had their own replacement, the .276 inch Pattern 1914 rifle, under development.). It had never been intended for the infantry, and the onset of war essentially scuttled the new rifle.

Regards,

JMB

Edited by JMB1943
typo

36 minutes ago, JMB1943 said:

.... and the onset of war essentially scuttled the new rifle.

well scuttled the new .276 CALIBRE -- the rifle design, or course, was manufactured in very large numbers in the US as the Pattern 1914 (in .303) and the US Model 1917(in .30.06)

Chris

18 minutes ago, 4thGordons said:

well scuttled the new .276 CALIBRE -- the rifle design, or course, was manufactured in very large numbers in the US as the Pattern 1914 (in .303) and the US Model 1917(in .30.06)

Chris

Chris,

Thanks for correcting my sloppy text and putting the exact situation out there.

Regards,

JMB

Chris & JMB, 

I hope you both had a Merry Christmas.  Thank you for providing the addtional information.  It's always good to gain additional knowledge!

Have a GREAT New Year !  TED

Ted,

Thanks for your good wishes, we all try to help when we can.

All the best for the New Year!

Regards,

JMB