Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Salonika Cemeteries/battlefields

Mark Hone

I'm sure that there have been threads on this before, but has anyone got practical experience of visiting the Salonika battlefields?

Hi Mark,

Whilst based in Kosovo in 2003 a group of us used to run a tour down from Kosovo to Lake Doiran. We would hike up to the summit of the Grand Couronne. We used to visit Colonial Hill to see the memorial to the missing, Doiran Military Cemetary and Doiran Greek Military Cemetary.

In the six months I was there I managed to visit the area about 12 times. If you need any other info drop me a line and I'll see if I can help.

Best regards

Iain

Mark,

You may also like to try and contact Alan Wakefield or Simon Moody (forum members) - both have been out there more than once and have a wealth of experience on the area (their book "Under the Devil's eye" is excellent).

I recall them telling me that there were areas they visited where they were only regarded as safe when accompanied by the Macedonian Army.

Martin

Mark

Following up Martin's posting, I've been out to the Salonika battlefields 4 times and will probably be going again with a small group this September. At Doiran the Greek-FYROM border cuts across the battlefield, the former British lines lying on or very near the border - this makes them a little dodgy to visit as Greek border patrols are very watchful. The Macedonians are a bit more laid back but unless you have a local guide (farmer of military) I'd stick to the Bulgarian lines as these are far enough from the border to allow you to wander at will. As most of the trenches were blasted out of solid rock and many concrete emplacements bulit there is plenty to see.

In contrast the Struma Valley has returned to agriculture and there is little evidence of the war. However, most of the villages have been rebuilt (although totally renamed eg Orliak = Strimoniko) so one can follow the route of advances across the valley.

I'm still looking for another couple of people who may be interested in coming out to the area in September. If you are interested drop me an email and I'll put you on the list for future group emails. The next one will probbaly be posted in late May after my return from Vladivostok! In any case, if you have any additional questions regarding the Salonika battlefields just get in touch.

ALAN

Thanks very much . It looks as if I will need my flak jacket and kevlar helmet to get to parts of the battlefields. Are the two cemeteries at Sarigol and Lembet Road easier to reach? Unfortunately I am stymied with September trips (as with the two forum jaunts which I would have loved to have gone on) by the fact that I am a teacher. Not complaining about the length of our holidays in the slightest, just that there is no flexibility in taking them.