Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Military Medal - John William Shadlock

alantwo

Private 1373, renumbered 145561, John William Shadlock, Northamptonshire Yeomanry, (Squadron not known), was awarded the Military Medal in 1919 for action in Italy. Notices are in the Supplement to London Gazette 29th March 1919, p4124, Supplement to Edinburgh Gazette, 31st March 1919, p1322 and Supplement to London Gazette 20th October 1919, p12876; the latter with the corrected unit description. The unit War Diary for this period is at the National Archives, WO 95/4205, but it is not digitised. 

Can anyone advise if this award was for a specific action or for another reason. If the former, what, when, where. 

My thanks in advance for any help.

Alan

1 hour ago, Allan1892 said:

I don't know if you have seen the attached image (courtesy of Find My Past)

Many thanks Allan1892 for posting, yes I have seen the image. On behalf of friends I'm trying to find out why it was awarded.

Kind regards

Alan

43 minutes ago, alantwo said:

On behalf of friends I'm trying to find out why it was awarded.

Tring to find citations for MMs are like looking for hens teeth. The citations were destroyed many years ago. Some books, like the Tanks Corps 'Book of Honour' carry citations so it may be that there is a similar book for Shadlock's regiment. Other than that, I can only suggest looking at local newspapers to see if there was a mention on him. (I have had a very quick search of newspapers but have drawn a blank)

Yes, scanning local papers is best route. Take your time.

Here's an example of a DCM award and mention of a MM being awarded to 'a trooper' for same incident. 

Not that I'm saying it's your man as other MMs to unit in same Gazette, eg 14544 Reginald Knighton. (Edit in fact there seem to be 19 MMs to the Northants Yeo in same Gazette)

Courtesy Findmypast and Cambridge Indépendant 28 Feb 1919.

Cambridge_Independent_Pressetc_28_February_1919_0005_Clip.jpg.122fd2baffb71cbb9a6fa7fcfc304e6c.jpg

Since the unit returned from Italy early 1919, that year might hold other articles.

Edited by charlie962

It's possible it is mentioned in the regiment's war diary. National Archives WO95/4205. The diaries for Italy are not yet digitised, so would need a look-up at Kew,

@Allan1892 @charlie962 @Chris_Baker

Thanks everyone for your responses, it is appreciated.

I had run a couple of scans through the newspapers, trying initials, full name etc., but nothing came up; I'll try the Abingdon Museum as suggested by Charlie. I had stumbled across the Northamptonshire Museum and Art Gallery and they have a link to Flickr which has photographs of various Squadrons of Northamptonshire Yeomanry, but I don't know which one Shadlock was in.  Which is a pity, as the War Diary for B Squadron, downloadable and free after registration via the National Archives, is quite detailed for part of their time in France, unusually often naming other ranks, including two men awarded the MM in April 1917; the diary for C Squadron is less well detailed. The next time I visit Kew I'll get the file for their time in Italy and see if anything turns up.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards

Alan

29 minutes ago, Ivor Anderson said:

mms.jpg

Entry FROM:

5a587127-dd29-42b6-8701-ed2164202d43.jpg

Ivor, many thanks for your post, at least that narrows it down to a few days; presumably for actions during the Battle of Vittorio Venetto. Looks like I need the War Diary I mentioned in my first post.

Regards

Alan

Edited by alantwo

• 1 month later...

I believe Shadlock was "A" Squadron. See this from the Northampton Independent of 20-2-1915. Others on the same photos share his overseas date of 13-2-1915 so the "Shadlock" mentioned is likely to be him.

NorthamptonshireYeomanrydraftsNorthamptonIndependent20-2-1915.jpg.8916191eb0a4684cd5abdee1208374e7.jpg

Steve.

Edited by Stebie9173

10 hours ago, Stebie9173 said:

I believe Shadlock was "A" Squadron. See this from the Northampton Independent of 20-2-1915. Others on the same photos share his overseas date of 13-2-1915 so the "Shadlock" mentioned is likely to be him.

Steve

Thank you very much for posting the photograph/newspaper cutting and for remembering this topic from a month or so ago; I'll forward it on to our friends. I'm going to Kew later this month (23rd) and I've requested the Northamptonshire Yeomanry file whilst they were in Italy. Hopefully it will be available and I'll post again if anything of interest turns up.

Many thanks

Alan

• 3 weeks later...

The War Diary for the 1/1st Northamptonshire Yeomanry for the period November 1917-December 1918 is somewhat thin on detail, however extracts from a Report on Operations by the Officer Commanding Mounted Troops are copied within and give a small insight in to the events during which the Military Medal was awarded to Shadlock. My apologies in advance for any transcription errors. Please note that I’ve corrected some place names, however Kerretto, for example, I couldn’t find on a map.

CASA POSTIAMA  28th Oct 1918      2245(1)

Marched to cross River PIAVE via XI Italian Corps pontoon bridge at SALETTUOL. Regiment and 1st Line Transport arrived on left bank of river at 0630 hours, 29/10/18.

VAZZOLA 29th Oct 1918   

Regiment in Battle Order proceeded to VAZZOLA.                                       

Extract from Report on Operations by Officer Commanding Mounted Troops.

“On learning the situation from the infantry, who said they believed the MONTICIANO river held, I sent ‘B’ Squadron on at about 0830 hours to try & effect a crossing. The leading Troop Leader, with great gallantry charged & captured a machine gun holding the bridge, which enable the Squadron to come into action dismounted, who by Hotchkiss and rifle fire, forced the enemy garrison – 500 to 600 strong – to the right & left of the bridge to surrender and also shot or made prisoners, an enemy party who advanced to blow up the bridge. The enemy had a line of machine gun posts to the east of the river which was impossible to get through mounted, and when I had tried one Squadron to the right & patrols to the left, with no effect, I left the situation to the infantry & retired the mounted troops west of VAZZOLA, as the village was being shelled.”

Regiment bivouacked for the night.

Casualties.

Lieutenant GA GILLESPIE 6th Reserve Regiment of Cavalry wounded, 2 Other Ranks wounded.

IN THE FIELD 30th Oct 1918                            

Extract from Report on Operations by Officer Commanding Mounted Troops.

“On October 30th. On receiving four orders to try and secure SACILE & the bridges over the River LIVENZA, I passed through the infantry who were holding CIMETTA at about 0830 hours & got CADOGNE unopposed. From there I sent one Squadron as Advanced Guard by bounds on ORSAGA & another Squadron on CAJARINE and FRANCENIGO & thence up River LIVENZA to SACILE to protect my right flank. A line of machine gun posts were found between BIBANO and ORSAGA, but these were surprised and captured & more were dealt with in the same way on the main ORSAGO – SACILE road, on which 12 guns were captured. As it was evident that the enemy was not expecting us & as I had messages from my right Squadron that they had met with little opposition, I attempted a surprise attack on SACILE, which the inhabitants said was held, sending 1 Company Cyclists, 4 MM Guns down the main road, one Squadron to the right & 3 troops to the left of town.

Only one enemy machine gun opened to start with & a lot of prisoners were secured, but after half an hour the enemy – quite a 1000 strong – got organised & advanced in column to within 30 yards of my men, so I dah to withdraw, after inflicting heavy casualties on the enemy & taking away 350 prisoners.

I withdrew to the line of the river MESCHIO & sent patrols forward again, who reported enemy holding MG Posts about half a mile west of SACILE. The right Squadron took two machine guns & some 100 prisoners & reported that the river crossing from SCHIAPOL to FRANCENIGO held. 300 to 400 unarmed AUSTRIANS were also collected & sent back to the infantry during the day. At dark I handed over the line to the infantry & collected my command at ORSAGO.”

Casualties.

Lieutenant WH PAYNE wounded (at duty)

5 Other Ranks killed. (2)(3)(4)(5)(6)(7) 

6 Other Ranks wounded.

1 Other Rank missing.

ORSAGO 31st Oct 1918                     

Regiment billeted in ORSAGO, waiting further orders.

ORSAGO 1st Nov 1918(8)                  

Regiment billeted in ORSAGA waiting orders.

ORSAGO 2nd Nov 1918     0900      

Under orders XIV Corps Regiment marched to PORDENONE & billeted in Cavalry Barracks.

PORDENONE 3rd Nov 1918                             

Extract from Report on Operations by Officer Commanding XIV Corps Mounted Troops.

“On November 3rd under orders of the 7th Division, I advanced on the TAGLIAMENTO RIVER, where I was asked by the GOC, 4th Italian Cavalry Division, not to cross, as the AUSTRIANS on the left bank had told him that the Austrian General was coming over to make the necessary arrangements.

I sent patrols over the river, who reported that the Italian Cavalry were fraternising with the Austrians & that the Austrian MGs & guns were still in position. As I only had 3 weak Squadrons I thought the matter best left to the Italian Cavalry Division & withdrew to the right flank.”

4th Nov 1918                      

“On 4th November at 1200 hours I advanced over the TAGLIAMENTO on orders from the 7th Division to MERETTO where the inhabitants stated that the Austrians only left at 1000 hours. Armistice conditions came into force at 1500 hours & Regiment billeted at KERETTO & S MARCO for the night.”

The men who died during this period are commemorated on the CWGC website and a couple appear to be in the photograph/newspaper cutting supplied by Steve above.

(1) No.145188 Trooper Alfred ALLIN, 1/1st Northamptonshire Yeomanry. Died 28/10/18, com: Giavera British Cemetery, Arcade, Italy.

(2) No.146036, Trooper, Jonathan BOOTH, ‘B’ Squadron, Northamptonshire Yeomanry. Died 30/10/18, com: Giavera British Cemetery, Arcade, Italy.

(3) No.145706, Private, William Joseph ELLARD, 1/1st Northamptonshire Yeomary. Died: 30/10/18, com: Cremona Town Cemetery, Italy.

(4) No.145668, Trooper, Joseph Pearson ALBRIGHT, ‘C’ Squadron, 1/1st Northamptonshire Yeomanry. Died: 30/10/18, com: Tezze British Cemetery, Italy.

(5) No.145992, Trooper, George Ernest DAWKES, 1/1st Northamptonshire Yeomanry. Died: 30/10/18, com: Tezze British Cemetery, Italy.

(6) No.145908, Trooper, Thomas Robins SMITH, ‘A’ Squadron, 1/1st Northamptonshire Yeomanry. Died: 30/10/18, com: Tezze British Cemetery, Italy.

(7) No.D/15164, Trooper, Frank Herbert WISE, 1/1st Northamptonshire Yeomanry. Died: 30/10/18, com: Tezze British Cemetery, Italy.

(8) No.146135, Private, Albert Ernest TOMALIN, Northamptonshire Yeomanry. Died 1/11/18, com: Staglieno Cemetery, Genoa, Italy.

19 hours ago, alantwo said:

6 Other Ranks wounded

These might be the six men who appear in the Daily Casualty list of 7/12/18.

Claypole 145521 (MM sch 3398)

Collar 145395 (39 CCS ex 1/1 SMFA, gsw shoulder 30/10/18)

Cox 145882

Garrett 146061

Hamer 145642 (DCM lg17/4/19)His citation in LG supplement 25/2/20 says for action 30/11/18 (surely they mean October?)where he was twice wounded.

Tear 145878

Charlie

Edited by charlie962

SGT DAy was serving with B Squadron according to an account I have .James Watson Smith

23 hours ago, charlie962 said:

These might be the six men who appear in the Daily Casualty list of 7/12/18.

Claypole 145521 (MM sch 3398)

Collar 145395 (39 CCS ex 1/1 SMFA, gsw shoulder 30/10/18)

Cox 145882

Garrett 146061

Hamer 145642 (DCM lg17/4/19)His citation in LG supplement 25/2/20 says for action 30/11/18 (surely they mean October?)where he was twice wounded.

Tear 145878

Charlie

Charlie

Thanks for taking the time to seek out the wounded, I see there is a Hamer mentioned in 'C' Squadron in the photo above. I agree the date of his wounding must be incorrect as the war diary entry for the 28th to 30th November states "Ordinary routine & parade, football competitions. In rest billets at CONTABISSARA".

Kind regards

Alan

18 hours ago, James Watson smith said:

SGT DAy was serving with B Squadron according to an account I have .James Watson Smith

Hi James

Thanks for your contribution here and I see it is your first post, welcome to the Forum.

Kind regards

Alan

Alan,thanks for reply,not sure how useful or otherwise my contribution was.

My Grandfather served with Northants Yeomanry throughout the war and commanded B Squadron during these operations on the Monticano.Hence my interest in your posts. James

14 hours ago, James Watson smith said:

Alan,thanks for reply,not sure how useful or otherwise my contribution was.

My Grandfather served with Northants Yeomanry throughout the war and commanded B Squadron during these operations on the Monticano.Hence my interest in your posts. James

Hi James

All contributions are welcome you never know where they may lead. There was a Sergeant Cyril Day, 596 and 145043, who served with this unit, probably the man your Grandfather mentioned. He was awarded a DCM for the action on 29th October 1918 that I transcribed above, something I found only following your post. If you would like to add anything about your Grandfather, it all adds colour for everyone on the Forum.

Kind regards 

Alan

Alan,

Major H.S.Benyon DSO MC.  (1882-1952) He was awarded the DSO for the action 0n the 29th October and on the 30th.

I visited the bridge over the Monticano about thirty five years ago.It was a modern concrete affair as you can imagine but the ground on both banks was much the same as various contemporary pictures showed.If I discover more will post.

James

Thanks for that James.

The war diary entry for the 4th June 1918:

"2nd Lieutenant MERRY TN rejoined Regiment from Base.
Major NICKALLS PW, Captain LITCHFIELD F, and No.145393 SSM GENT FC, Mentioned in Despatches: 18/4/18, London Gazette dated: 30/5/18.
Major NICKALLS PW, awarded DSO: 3/6/18, London Gazette dated: 3/6/18.
Captain BENYON HS, awarded MC: 3/6/18, London Gazette: 3/6/18;
No.146046 SSM GARNER WB, awarded the MSM dated: 3/6/18, London Gazette: 3/3/18."

Alan