Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mystery slings?

Steve1871

My friend Paul again, digging through his stuff, found 3 slings. We could not determine if Great War or later. To me, the metal clips on end look Czechoslovakia, , but that crown and “ A” look Scandinavian, not German with that style crown and print type letter ( on center sling hook)  the two keepers look German. May be for a sub. Gun? I guessing here

Anyone else want to guess?

IMG_7919.jpeg

IMG_7918.jpeg

IMG_7920.jpeg

IMG_7921.jpeg

IMG_7922.jpeg

IMG_7915.jpeg

Yes, I agree with you Ross, that stamping is not German. Scandinavian, but which country, for what weapon, rifle, sub machine gun or? A real mystery 

I would favour Sweden and with the style of clip I would suggest a light machinegun due to the similarity of the sling clips used with the British Bren Gun.

Looks like the slog attached to the Madsen LMG shown here: ( image from Wikipedia)

image.jpeg.10b3d82371805cb68d12e79bcd5570ee.jpeg

Chris

Could be, 4thGordon?!   
does the Crown A. Look British or could be for a Madden for another country?. I simply do not know. But yes, sure looks the same

Thank you

I think the crown is Scandinavian as mentioned above

The Madsen was very widely used however for a LOOOONG time.

Chris

Given that the Madsen LMG was Danish designed, my guess would be that it is likely to be a Danish crown on the leather sling.

image.jpeg.d240228929cc20a964b4341f09ca1940.jpeg

You know what, Spaceman, I think you are right. Will tell my friend Paul hat we think. It does look spot on there.     

Thank you 

On 21/12/2023 at 11:53, Steve1871 said:

My friend Paul again, digging through his stuff, found 3 slings. We could not determine if Great War or later. To me, the metal clips on end look Czechoslovakia, , but that crown and “ A” look Scandinavian, not German with that style crown and print type letter ( on center sling hook)  the two keepers look German. May be for a sub. Gun? I guessing here

Anyone else want to guess?

IMG_7919.jpeg

IMG_7918.jpeg

IMG_7920.jpeg

IMG_7921.jpeg

IMG_7922.jpeg

IMG_7915.jpeg

99% sure it is Danish, likely for the Madsen. The marking is the Danish royal crown and the marking should be the Hearens Vaabenarsenalet HAV 

Swedish royal crown marking is my second guess but I am unsure of the 'A' as Sweden has no armouries with this letter as a reference. 

Kind regards,
G